PlantFiles: Love Vine, Devil's Gut, Dodder
Cassytha filiformis

Family: Lauraceae (law-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cassytha (kas-SITH-ee-a) (Info)
Species: filiformis (fil-ih-FOR-miss) (Info)

Parasites and Hemiparasites

Thumbnail #5 of Cassytha filiformis by Floridian

Thumbnail #6 of Cassytha filiformis by Floridian

Thumbnail #7 of Cassytha filiformis by Floridian

Negative Wildcats On Oct 6, 2010, Wildcats from Benton, KY wrote:

The love vine is choking our mums and to get rid of it, we've had to cut the mums down to the ground; is there any other way to get rid of the love vine without such drastic measures?

Negative bluebutterfly12 On Sep 2, 2010, bluebutterfly12 from Lenoir, NC wrote:

I have not seen this plant in years. All of a sudden it appeared on my creeping flocks or what we used to call our thrift plant that grows year round here in North Carolina. I want to know how to rid of this Love vine... It smothers out the plants and i try to get rid of it but without success .... If anyone knows what to do about it without killing my creeping flocks please let me know... Thank you

Negative KoshNaranek On Aug 7, 2010, KoshNaranek from Madison, TN wrote:

I have seen this plant for two years in a row. It is in a bottom pasture(now a Greenway park) along the Cumberland River in Nashville. It has spread over about a 1000 sqft area of the field.

Negative Dutchlady1 On May 18, 2008, Dutchlady1 from Naples, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

strangling invasive vine.

Negative raisedbedbob On Feb 2, 2006, raisedbedbob from Walkerton, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Annual parasitic plant having no leaves or green parts

Also called strangleweed for the thread-like yellow to orange twining stems that coil around and attach to host plants with wart-like suckers

A particular concern in vegetable and forage crops and ornamentals

Can produce over 16,000 seeds per plant that can remain viable for over 60 years

Positive NativePlantFan9 On Sep 11, 2004, NativePlantFan9 from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Love Vine, Devil's Gut or Dodder is native to the dry Florida Scrub, hammocks and sometimes pine flatwoods (found mostly in the very dry scrub) of coastal and interior central and southern Florida, southward through the Keys. It is a vine that climbs over low shrubs and trees, draping over them and covering them with hair-like, yellow strands. I have seen them in parks many times and I really like the way they drape over plants, seeming to cover them with an orange-yellowish, draping, smothering and gently covering curtain. For this reason it is often called Witch's Hair. I would recommend this plant immeadiately for people who like a draping, curtain-like vine, but I don't recommend thisn plant to those who don't like possibly fast-growing, invasive and spreading plants like this one. Personally, though, I really like them! Where can you get seeds or seedlings of this plant?

MORE FACTS - Also grows in Texas. Adaptable in many areas and may withstand some cold or frost. The plant also has tiny flowers that are, however, inconspicuous.

Boca Raton, Florida