PlantFiles: Hardy Begonia
Begonia grandis

Family: Begoniaceae (be-gon-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Begonia (be-GON-yuh) (Info)
Species: grandis (GRAN-dees) (Info)

Synonym:Begonia evansiana

Thumbnail #6 of Begonia grandis by Happenstance

By wnstarr
Thumbnail #7 of Begonia grandis by wnstarr

Positive wakingdream On Feb 5, 2013, wakingdream from Allentown, PA wrote:

After many years enjoying a cane Begonia houseplant, I was excited to see a perennial Begonia for the garden with very similar "angel wing" leaves and dangling flowers. I have had Begonia grandis for 2 years and have found several small plantlets nearby. I saved the seedpods last fall, filled with dust particle sized seeds, and hope to expand. My variety blooms pink. I left the dead stalks in place for the winter to remind me of its position. They are now an unusual shade of orange. It is late to break dormancy here in zone 6, eastern PA. I am indebted to my hort friend, Rob, for sharing this with me.

Positive Clint07 On May 15, 2012, Clint07 from Bethlehem, PA wrote:

(Writing from Zone 6) I don't know why B. grandis didn't persist in a couple of seemingly appropriate shady spots, but it has prospered for many years in another spot (?slightly sloping and perhaps better drained) where I hang a shade of gauze to block it from direct sun on summer afternoons. Normally it doesn't come up until June, but this spring (2012) after almost no winter, it came up in late April. It's a beauty.

Positive Gabrielle On Feb 27, 2012, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Doesn't necessarily survive the winter here, but it reseeds itself. Blooms September - October in my garden.

Positive vossner On Aug 5, 2011, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

what a tough plant this is! mine dies to the ground ea winter but comes back stronger each yr.

Positive AresDraco On Aug 1, 2011, AresDraco from San Francisco, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I have this plant in my San Francisco garden. It's often overcast here and always on the cool side. I LOVE this plant. Mine (all pink) came from Plant Delights nursery, plus some bulbils I scavanged from a massed planting of volunteers at a local nursery. I plan on adding the white variety next.
These Begonias spread in my garden. Not invasive and at their best in masses. If they pop up in the wrong corner, I can transplant them or just weed them out. Easy-peasy!

Positive VA_GARDEN On Nov 8, 2009, VA_GARDEN from Hood, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

A wonderful plant for the shade garden that will even tolerate dry shade. It can self seed a bit aggressively in good soil, but is easy to pull out if it pops up where it is unwanted. I garden on a steep hillside, and try to put it in beds where I can look up to see the underside of the leaves; the red color on the bottom of the leaves is lovely. It is slow to break dormancy in the spring, and is very useful to overplant bulbs.

Positive chickarooni On May 18, 2009, chickarooni from Springfield, MO wrote:

Have had this plant for 22 years and always looked forward to July when it begins to bloom. This spring I had to transplant the entire bed to another shaded location and will be heartbroken if they do not survive. Must be mulched for winter in my Zone 6 location but very easy and hardy otherwise.

Positive kellerbend On May 19, 2008, kellerbend from Knoxville, TN wrote:

Fantastic plant. I dug a small amount from a relative about 5 years ago and it has taken over a shady area under some rhodies. I've transplanted it all around the garden since. It blooms best with a few hours of morning sun. It will also grow under black walnuts, but deer will graze it after the heat of the summer comes and their top tier food dwindles. Once the triangular seed pods dry, I just crush them up and sprinkle the areas I want to seed. New seedlings generally don't bloom until the second year though.

Positive louparris On May 19, 2008, louparris from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a wonderful plant. It survives when almost nothing else does.
My sister from Beaumont gave me my start. She did this by cutting the tops off her plants and gave them to me to root. They root easily. Just stick the broken off parts in the ground!

Positive Beverlyhy On Nov 8, 2007, Beverlyhy from Oakridge, OR wrote:

I have grown this plant for many years. I love it. I gather the little bulblets that form in late fall at the joints of the plant and plant them in pots to make more plants to share with friends. Some of them always fall on the ground too and make more plants.
My main plant is in a long plastic pot and has been there for several years.

Positive chris_h On May 16, 2007, chris_h from Waukegan, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have had this plant in my garden for many years although it is not listed as hardy in my zone. I bought it mail order and the catalog noted that although it was considered a zone 6 plant it had proved hardy in their zone 5 gardens, so I gave it a try. I have scattered it all around in my shade gardens. Since it comes up so late I plant it near spring ephemerals. It appears as the spring ephemerals are disappearing. It is one of my favorite fall bloomers.

Positive ladyisle On Jul 23, 2006, ladyisle from Bohemia, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Beautiful plant, but doesn't bloom that well for me so far in its 2nd full season in my garden. The original plant that I planted was twice the size of the one I have now, and covered in pink blooms. I planted it late in the season, before one of the coldest winters we've had, so maybe these are seedlings?

Positive PurplePansies On Jul 6, 2005, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

Overwintered quite well here. Seems to prefer a well drained but slightly protected (from winter wind etc.) and somewhat (partially) shady spot although I hear it can grow in full shade. Thriving so far .... blooms I expect in autumn. Foliage is actually quite decorative. Large (much larger than hand) pointed foilage of bright green to chartreuse with noticeable veins and sometimes reddish stems. A great addition to any shade garden. :)

Positive htop On Apr 2, 2005, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Love this plant. 3 were sent to my by my friend, Ann, who is a fellow DGer.They died down at the end of the summer and I feared that they had died. In the middle of March, they reappeared much fuller than last year and with hundreds of offspring that came up by self-seeding. The leaves are beautiful especially when the morning sun shines on them. I have them planted on the east side of my privacy fence where they receive morning sun and afternoon filtered to full shade. Mine have delicate pink blooms. Thanks, Ann, for these great plants. I think of you each time I see them.

Positive henryr10 On Dec 12, 2004, henryr10 from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

I had never seen this plant until I moved here to Cincinnati.
It's everywhere in the older neighborhoods including ours.
They all start blooming within days of each other.
It must have been a serious 'pass along plant' here in the 30's and 40's.

I've since searched for it and found it in older neighborhoods in about every city we visit.

It was here when we moved in 18 years ago, and no one had seriously gardened for at least 25 years before that, so I've got to go w/ a long lived perennial or a good self seeder.

It seems to be most common on high light North side gardens close to houses or walls.

Positive msigouin On Aug 9, 2004, msigouin from Harrisburg, PA wrote:

I had about a 60% success rate with this plant in a mass planting in deep shade, and competing with and planted under an ancient Norwegian Spruce tree and shaded out further by a shed. Success meaning surviving the winter. It doesn't emerge until almost June, and one must be patient. The clumps that survived the first winter, are thriving and spreading on their own into the surrounding bare areas this third season.

Positive yodecat On Oct 20, 2003, yodecat from Dallas, TX wrote:

Grows well in full shade (bright indirect light); doesn't like 'high' summer, who does? Flowers profusely in the fall.

Positive wnstarr On Sep 24, 2003, wnstarr from Puyallup, WA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Surpringly tough plant, prefers semi shade in a well drained soil. Is a little slow resprounting in the Spring but lasts until hard frost. Looks very delicate, but is really very durable plant. Nice big Green non-shiny leaves, has dark red undersides. Blooms late in the season with Pink or White blossoms. Will self seed, also can be divided for more plants.

Positive clantonnaomi On Aug 5, 2003, clantonnaomi from Iredell, TX wrote:

Even though these plants do very well in central Texas, it is difficult to locate them here. Most nurseries do not carry them. I have them planted under large pecan trees and they come back every year. They are very easy to transplant-I have shared mine with many friends. Great plants for shade.

Positive Ladyfern On Aug 4, 2003, Ladyfern from Jeffersonville, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

It's hard to find fall bloomers for the shade, so this is a valuable asset to my shady beds. Does well along a NE wall. Self-sows to form colonies. Handsome foliage.

Positive Terry On Aug 31, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Another nice perennial alternative for spots where you might put the usual annual bedding plants. Here in zone 6, they do better if they're heavily mulched before serious winter weather sets in.

Positive Azalea On Aug 31, 2002, Azalea from Jonesboro, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Interesting and colorful shade plant. Leaves are "angel wing" to rounded shape. Green fuzzy tops and mahogany color on the bottom. Delicate bloom spikes in mid to late summer. The pink seed pods turn brown when ripe.

Anniston, Alabama
Barling, Arkansas
Calistoga, California
Clayton, California
Fairfax, California
Dania, Florida
Ormond Beach, Florida
Tampa, Florida
Atlanta, Georgia (3 reports)
Dallas, Georgia
Gainesville, Georgia
Woodstock, Georgia
Washington, Illinois
Waukegan, Illinois
Winnetka, Illinois
Evansville, Indiana
Indianapolis, Indiana (2 reports)
Jeffersonville, Indiana
Mason, Michigan
Royal Oak, Michigan
Madison, Mississippi
Glencoe, Missouri
Springfield, Missouri (2 reports)
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
Cleveland, Ohio
Glouster, Ohio
Hamilton, Ohio
Oakridge, Oregon
Portland, Oregon (2 reports)
Winston, Oregon