PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Tommy Toe'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Tommy Toe

By onalee
Thumbnail #5 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by onalee

By passiflora_pink
Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by passiflora_pink

Positive WillyFromAZ On Apr 9, 2013, WillyFromAZ from Sierra Vista, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

Excellent large cherry tomato--perfect size for kabobs. Productive, tasty, hardy, long-lived. A keeper here in the high deserts of the southwest

Positive passiflora_pink On Jul 16, 2009, passiflora_pink from Shelby County, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

These are the best cherry type tomatoes I have ever tried. They thrive in the heat of the deep south. They don't crack or rot. They are luscious right off the vine!

Positive onalee On Jul 23, 2008, onalee from Brooksville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I also got my original seeds from SSE and am very happy with these tomatoes! My husband grew up with tommy toe tomatoes growing 'wild' in south Florida and wanted to have them again. These exceeded our expectations! Very abundant producers, they have provided tomatoes for the table for 2-3 months and they are still producing even in the Florida heat of July (which is unusual - all our other tomatoes are LONG GONE!). Our vines got to 10' and more; we supported them with just a 4' fence all around, so they grew up and over the support and back down the other side but never slowed down on production!

These are also a good choice for growing upside down in a bucket or other container - they don't seem to get as long growing that way, but still produced well and were easy to care for.

Positive berrygirl On Aug 18, 2004, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Extremely vigorous plant yields hundreds of 1" apricot-sized fruits. Produces non-stop over an extended season. Superb flavor, hard to beat! Won an Australian taste test with 100 varieties. Indeterminate, 70 days from transplant.

I grew this for the first time this year. This is the small cherry tomato that I grew up with. In fact, I have always called all small salad- type tomatoes "Tommy Toes". I grew these in cement blocks without staking them at all. They did sprawl more than I thought they would, but caused no problem. Saw no evidences of disease or pests like I did on my other tomato plants. Yield is very heavy and steady so far. Flavor is excellent.
Jan 2007: This tomato has re-seeded and come back for me each year since I first grew it. I still love it!!

Pelham, Alabama