Voodoo Lily
Amorphophallus variabilis

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Amorphophallus (a-mor-fo-FAL-us) (Info)
Species: variabilis (var-ee-AH-bil-iss) (Info)

Herbs

Not Applicable

Brown/Bronze

Lady Lake, Florida

Livonia, Michigan

positive

On Jul 20, 2010, mitzi58 from Livonia, MI wrote:

I received a 2" bulb from my mom 5 years ago. I was warned that after the bulb grew to 4"or so it would produce a flower in February. Sure enough it did. The flower is spectacular, but EXTREMELY smelly!
After the bloom fades and the weather breaks, I plant it in my front yard. The plant is so different and pretty that all my neighbors comment on it. Every year I give the "babies" away that my main plant produces.
This February the flower plant grew to 96" in my basement!! (the bulb is now 12" big) I have since planted it outside and it is growing approximately 3/4" a day. I live in Livonia, MI, so if anyone out there wants one of the "babies" to try out in your garden, email me at pepemitz@yahoo.com. There are 6 "babies" now waiting ... read more