PlantFiles: Cucumber
Cucumis sativus 'Summer Dance'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucumis (KOO-koo-mis) (Info)
Species: sativus (sa-TEE-vus) (Info)
Cultivar: Summer Dance

» View all varieties of Cucumbers

Vegetables

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Positive wyndwalkr On Jan 30, 2009, wyndwalkr from La Valle, WI wrote:

Grew these in 2008 for first time. Readily climbed trellis and grew many long thin cucumbers, as described. 100% germination, but took a few days longer than I expected with cukes.

I have space-deprived garden and trellis whatever I can, but recommend it for these cukes to insure their long, skinny desirability. Don't know if they would be different laying on the ground.

Everyone who I shared some with raved about them. Raw--no need to peel. Mild. Nearly seedless if picked at the 10 to 12 inch stage. I also made a sweet chunk (alum, 5-day) pickle with them to great success. These grow fast. I would suggest best for raw salad and sliced pickle, rather than trying to get an abundance at gerkin or whole dill pickle size.

Ordered from Pinetree Garden Seeds. Ordering packets for 4 other people this year! The only cuke for me until (or if) I find an open pollinated one I like as well.

Neutral Farmerdill On Aug 20, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Available from Superseeds which offers this description; "(F1 Hybrid 70 days) An elongated Japanese type cukes, Summer Dance is notable in that every one of the fruit seem perfect, 10 inches long, about an inch wide with a deep green color and fairly smooth skin. The plant is a very vigorous grower setting many lateral vines for high productivity. It is resistant to both powdery and downy mildew. The flavor is sweet, mild, and refreshing, no need to peel these."

Bark River, Michigan