Cucumber 'Poona Kheera'

Cucumis sativus

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucumis (KOO-koo-mis) (Info)
Species: sativus (sa-TEE-vus) (Info)
Cultivar: Poona Kheera

Thompsons Station, Tennessee

Elgin, Texas

Liberty Hill, Texas

On Aug 20, 2015, lauriebr from Sandpoint, ID wrote:

Bought seeds for this cuke because it said 'never bitter'- of course without thinking that it would *really* not be bitter, because every seed description says their cukes are not bitter and they are anyway. Somehow didn't notice in the description that the cukes were brown.

When the cukes started forming, I thought at first there was something wrong with them. Figured they would be woody and bitter. They are SO good! Not one bit of bitter, even in the skin. And they are making lots of cukes for us, which we usually don't get from any type. Of course, this summer is hotter than normal here, so that is helping mature the cucumbers, but it's still out doing the other type we planted this year.

On Aug 13, 2013, Sherilou from Panhandle Gulf Coast, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I almost didn't grow this cucumber, because it's so odd looking.... but, it's delicious, burp-less and bitter-free. I really enjoy the excellent flavor of this cucumber.

It produced more cucumbers, in the worst heat and humidity of summer, than Soarer Hybrid Cucumber. The flavor was better, too. I did have to peel it, though. It's skin isn't as desirable as the Japanese cucumbers.

Out of the 12 cucumber varieties that I've tried, Poona Kheera is my new favorite for flavor and productivity. The seeds came from Johnny's Selected Seeds.

On Jun 28, 2010, ratlover1 from Rising Sun, IN wrote:

Delicious! First time growing this heirloom cuke. Mild, crisp and sweet at all stages. I have trouble leaving them on the vine long enough to turn ripe and brown! Very tasty even when small and a lovely bright yellow. Very fast growing and early producing, tried the first one about 30 days after setting out. Heavy producer too. Highly recommended.

On Nov 24, 2008, sanpedro from Espanola, NM (Zone 6b) wrote:

I thought I had left these on the vine too long when they turned russet. What a surprise to find they were still crisp and even sweeter. You won't get plump seeds, however, unless they are beyond ripe.

On Aug 10, 2007, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

My favorite cuke variety. Others just don't seem to match the sweetness, mildness, and great texture of PK. Fast growing and productive.

I prefer to harvest them before they are fully brown and russeted looking as they are even more tender and sweet at this stage.

On Jul 22, 2007, Sequee from Carmel, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is a wonderful tasting, fast growing cuke, and quite a conversion starter..."You're going to EAT that???" or "Oh, the poor thing went bad!" Then they taste it!!! Mild and almost sweet. Yum!

On Sep 10, 2006, Horseshoe from Efland, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

A "new-to-me" cucumber originally from Inda. Quick-growing vine and very early harvest (from setting out date to first pick was only29 days!).

The fruit starts out yellow then matures to a brown color when "ripe". I ate them in both yellow and brown stages. (There is a stage in-between where the fruit tends to leave an astringent aftertaste but this could've been due to weather-oriented problems.) (Will update as time goes by.)

I say go for it! The flavor is that of a "normal" cuke but the color is quite a novelty!

By the way, although the plants "height" is listed above as "18-24 inches that most likely refers to plants that sprawl on the ground. Should you decide to trellis this plant (as most folks do with cucumbers) it will easily g... read more