PlantFiles: Limequat
X Citrofortunella floridana

Family: Rutaceae (roo-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: X Citrofortunella (sit-roh-for-tun-NEL-uh) (Info)
Species: floridana (flor-ih-DAY-na) (Info)

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Blooms all year

By salvia_lover
Thumbnail #1 of X Citrofortunella floridana by salvia_lover

Positive PammiePi On Jul 18, 2012, PammiePi from Green Cove Springs, FL wrote:

I've had my Limequat for several years, and have it planted next to my Kumquat. For a while it only bore few fruit, but finally this year it is loaded with fruit! I believe this is because the tree was pruned last season and also now gets more sunlight. The fruit tastes great (just like a lime) and is the perfect size for drinks. There is always a waiting list for the limequats, so I'm glad the harvest will be much greater this year. I live in NE Florida where we occasionally get hard freezes, which doesn't seem to bother the Limequat. Very hardy plant with delicious fruit.

Positive Sultana On Dec 21, 2011, Sultana from Lakewood, WA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I found the limequat, calamondin, and trifoiler lemon plants, on clearance at Lowe's Lakewood, WA. in November. The plants are small (14 in.) but already producing limequats. The foliage is excellent. Several bright green, shiny leaves appear every day. (The others plants are blooming and I expect fruit from them as well.) The fragrance of the blooms is incomparable. The scent fills the air better than any air freshener possible. I may never move them outdoors. What a an enjoyable time I am having with these three.
I simply have them on the floor, in front of the sliding glass door, in back. (Be careful where you place them, though, they appear to have small thorns.)

Positive cyberageous On Jun 18, 2011, cyberageous from Everglades, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I love mine and the fruit is delicious!

Negative PACO3802 On Oct 28, 2009, PACO3802 from Corpus Christi, TX wrote:

I have had a Limequat in South Texas for two years. It bears a lot of fruit, however, it has a chemical taste. I was considering replacing it as the fruit does not taste like a lime, or even any other familiar citrus? I have drip irrigation and all my other citrus is great. What could be wrong?

Positive seh12760 On Oct 13, 2009, seh12760 from Murfreesboro, TN wrote:

I bought two of these Key lime (limequat) bushes from a Nursery in Stuart Florida. I have not put them in bigger pots yet but I need to very soon. They are both full of fruit not sure when they are ready to harvest. I have them in a bedroom with two grow lights in the room. I know it is not cold enough for them to be harmed here but we have had nothing but rain. I felt they needed more light and brought them inside. I will put them out in the spring. I have blooms coming out on both bushes and plenty of fruit on both.

Positive salvia_lover On Aug 22, 2004, salvia_lover from Modi'in
Israel wrote:

A cross between a lime and a Kumquat - small like a kumquat and can be eaten like one (with the peel on) but tastes like a lime. It looks like a very small lime. Limequat fruits all year long so long as it gets some sun. Anytime a few warm days come along, it starts blooming again. Unlike a kumquat tree that grows tall and slender, the limquat grows similarly to the lime (fuller and rounder crown). And like all citrus, it has thorns. Very pretty tree and easy to prune and maintain. Doesn't mind cold, although very cold winters probably wouldn't suit it. Extremely rich in Vitamin C! The fruits can be used in cooking as in any recipe calling for lemon or lime. They are also great in marmalades and added to cold drinks.

Dade City, Florida
Green Cove Springs, Florida
Immokalee, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)
Lady Lake, Florida