Avens, Geum
Geum 'Mrs. Bradshaw'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Geum (JEE-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Mrs. Bradshaw
Additional cultivar information:(aka Mrs. J. Bradshaw)
Synonym:Geum chiloense

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Sitka, Alaska

Alameda, California

Long Beach, California

Sacramento, California

Colorado Springs, Colorado

Milford, Delaware

Roswell, Georgia

Lewiston, Idaho

Chicago, Illinois (2 reports)

Hazel Crest, Illinois

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

North Augusta, South Carolina

Knoxville, Tennessee

Ogden, Utah

Spokane, Washington (2 reports)

Vancouver, Washington (2 reports)

Cameron, Wisconsin

On May 6, 2012, darkeyes1023 from Hazelcrest, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

i got this plant on a clearance last year. I planted it next to the down spout of my house in full sun. it seem to love been wet most of the time, this year it has doubled in size. I'm hoping to find another.

On Jun 29, 2011, StellaElla from Graham, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I bought a little plant at a clearance sale in late autumn and shoved it in next to my red and yellow asiatic lilies, thinking it would be a nice accent in front of their tall spikes. Come early summer this year, that little "Mrs. Bradshaw" tripled in size and looks simply marvelous next to those lilies!! I've planted several more to continue the look, and also some "Lady Strathenden" Geums (yellow blooms) to accent the borders. This garden is a northerly facing full sun garden. I cannot be more pleased with these Geums. Zone 5b, Toronto area. (Wet winters and hot hot summers!)

On Jan 26, 2010, Susan_C from Alameda, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Mrs. Bradshaw is one of my favorite plants. It's difficult to find vibrant show-offy flowers for the shade, and she fits the bill. This plant has been low maintenance and long lived for me and blooms over an extended period.

On Jun 30, 2009, minnesotaronnie from Ely, MN wrote:

Was surprised when I read that this plant is rated zones 5 through 7. I live in zone 3 and got my original start from my aunt who had her plant 3-4 years. I have had mine now for 4 years and have had it seed several volunteers which I have passed on to others. It's a beautiful plant, which grows larger each year. I'm not going to tell it it's not supposed to thrive in zone 3.

On Jun 8, 2009, natalie4b from Roswell, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

It prefers afternoon shade in my garden. I am in zone 8. Love this plant!

On Apr 20, 2009, yotedog from Raleigh, NC wrote:

I give it a positive because sited in the right spot, this is one of my absolute favorite plants! Perfect for a cottage garden, or any garden where a low growing clump with tall, brilliant flowers on a fairly strong stem are needed.

I agree it is a bit picky about where it grows--I have it all over the yard and some are thriving and some are not. I've lost quite a few due to heat, cold, wet, but have others that are going on 3-4 years old now. My opinion is that it wants a lightly moist, but not wet spot, where it is not exposed to severe cold or severe heat, gets good sun, but not too hot!!!

On Feb 6, 2007, Bellisgirl from Spokane, WA wrote:

I love this plant!! Unfortunantly ive lost this particular cultivar several times over the winter. Geum do not like wet winters. The leaves are unusual, but are attractive. Flowers are some-what small, but very pritty, and are born on long, thin stems. Ive had more success with other cultivars of Geum, however.

On Aug 28, 2004, kooger from Oostburg, WI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I planted this last fall on the south side of the house, knowing it was rated at z5 and I am in z4. I was pleased to see it survived and grew into a nice sized plant. The flowers are a pretty red with a yellow center. They were smaller then I expected.

2006- My geum did not come back this spring and I noticed a nest of cutworms in it's crown. I don't know if the cutworms killed it or if it winter-killed. I had collected seed from it so I sowed the seed and now have 5 new plants. The seed is definitely viable.