PlantFiles: Chrysothemis
Chrysothemis pulchella 'Black Flamingo'

Family: Gesneriaceae (ges-ner-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Chrysothemis (kry-so-THEE-mis) (Info)
Species: pulchella (pul-KEL-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Black Flamingo

Thumbnail #6 of Chrysothemis pulchella by plantladylin

By plantladylin
Thumbnail #7 of Chrysothemis pulchella by plantladylin

Positive vlj On Oct 26, 2012, vlj from Tampa, FL wrote:

A great plant in Tampa,Fl; grows well under my magnolia tree on the north west side. It does freeze back each winter but has always come back.

Positive NaplesFlGarden On Aug 22, 2012, NaplesFlGarden from Naples, FL wrote:

We grow our plants under 30% shade cloth in a well drained mixture of Peat, Pine Bark Mulch, perelite and coarse Vermiculite. Osmacote slow release fertilizer is use on a regular basis and it is maintained continually moist (but well drained) by automatic sprinklers which water them daily. The plant has NOT STOPPED BLOOMING since we acquired it in Spring. Cuttings have been easy to root in our mist house in the same soil less mixture mentioned above or on our benches next to the parent plant. The cuttings will continue to bloom while rooting !

Positive helleon On May 29, 2010, helleon from Boca Raton, FL wrote:

A wonderful plant for this area in Florida. I planted it for the first time last year. In November it died back. In April we saw growth and very quickly it formed nice round mold shaped plants. It started flowering almost immediately. Now May 30 it is in full bloom. It is watered by sprinkler 3 days a week and now with summer rains, it gets a good sprinkle every afternoon. It is planted on the east side of my house and gets full sun from early morning till around 2 pm. The flowers are yellow and orange and low growing. We have them as an edge plant and they are truely wonderful. We have used the liquid Miracle grow product twice to feed them, about 3 weeks apart. Other than that we have done nothing. I would recommend this plant. It has not been easy to find the plant. If anyone knows where they can be found in the Boca Raton area, please post the location.

Positive standart On Oct 12, 2009, standart from Lakeland, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant has grown in heavy shade, under Live Oaks, for many years. They die back each winter and ree-emerge each Spring..My particular specimens wilt and die quickly in the sun and like to be evenly moist at all times; over watering never seems to hurt perhaps because the soil is well drained. Just got it identified today through to quick responses of altagardener and plantladylin

Positive anpagli On Sep 19, 2009, anpagli from Fort McCoy, FL wrote:

I've enjoyed this plant very much. I bought it to add to a container grouping because it's textured bronze leaves and bright orange flowers are such a nice contrast. During the planting a section broke off so I put it in water in my kitchen window to enjoy the bloom. To my amazement it never wilted. In about two weeks I saw there were roots coming from the bottom of the cutting. I planted it and it's doing great. By the way it never dropped it's blooms. It's been three weeks since I planted the rooted cutting and it's still in bloom. Great Plant!

Neutral Mishal On Sep 8, 2009, Mishal from Caguas
Puerto Rico wrote:

In Puerto Rico at least, this plant is stealthy and invasive. It just showed up in my containers a year ago, and despite not setting seed, has hopped it's way around all of my containers. It forms thick tubers beneath the ground, that happily re-sprout if the main shoots are cut off.

It's only saving grace is that is does not choke out other plants, it is living comfortably with a Calathea, philodendron, and a walking iris, and other plants appreciate the shade they're given in return. Still, it laughs at any attempts to cut or dig it out.

Positive 239elaine On Jun 6, 2008, 239elaine from Bonita Springs, FL wrote:

This plant did not do well on my lanai, so I moved it outdoors. It did well until the rainy season, and when I returned home from a trip the plant appeared to have rotted. I chalked it up to experience and removed the container from my garden. The following spring up popped a new plant in the ground where the container had been. It is happy and healthy, and I hope it survives the summer.

Positive Tropicanna On Sep 4, 2007, Tropicanna from Clemmons, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Love this plant, got it in a trade last year. Wanted to note that in the summer, I put it outside. It had gotten lanky from being indoors all winter and rooted itself into the ground. I separated that branch from the mother plant and it is doing well.

Positive DLANDERSEN On Dec 4, 2006, DLANDERSEN from Safety Harbor, FL wrote:

Plant suffered cold damage at approx 55F. Leaver were "burned" on the edges and curled up.

I have tried to propagate cuttings with no success.

The plant is grown from a tuber so this may not be possible??

Positive trois On Aug 24, 2004, trois from Santa Fe, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

A very beautiful plant that closely resembles an African Violet, but is larger and requires more sun.

Taoyuan District,