PlantFiles: Variegated Beach Spider Lily
Hymenocallis littoralis 'Variegata'

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hymenocallis (hy-men-oh-KAL-is) (Info)
Species: littoralis (lit-tor-AY-liss) (Info)
Cultivar: Variegata

Bulbs

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

By nifty413

By eliasastro
Thumbnail #4 of Hymenocallis littoralis by eliasastro

Positive eliasastro On Oct 7, 2010, eliasastro from Athens
Greece (Zone 10a) wrote:

Very easy and beautiful plants, doing well even grown in pots and not as aquatic plants.

Positive Kiyzersoze On May 29, 2010, Kiyzersoze from Coral Springs, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

When I first got these plants I wasn't sure what it was so I didn't keep it wet and it wasn't wet at the nursery so apparently it does fine with drying out between watering.

Positive bluerose53 On Jan 16, 2009, bluerose53 from Massillon, OH (Zone 4b) wrote:

These are beautiful plants to grow!!
I obtained "seed-pods" while on vacation, in Nov. 2005. I sent some to my mother in Florida, and she started hers right away. I, myself started my seeds in Jan. 2006. Of course, my mothers' took off and grew faster, being in an ideal climate. (at the time we had no idea what type of plant these were from!) Living in Ohio, and being winter, mine took longer.
During moves, I obtained my mothers' plants, and have been taking care of hers & mine since.
They do fantastic in the spring and summer, outside on my patio. Been growing them now going on 3 yrs. They've gotten huge!! This spring I will need to break them down and re-pot into individual pots, so its easier to handle them over the winter months. I have no problems keeping them alive and growing throughout the winter months, indoors.
They bloom for me during Christmas, through New Years, and now, Jan. 16th., they are still blooming!! The flowers have a beautiful, soft smelling scent, would be a pretty scent for perfume!! :)
My mom is now back in Florida and anxiously waiting for me to send her new seed-pods from this years blooms!!
These are great and easy plants to grow. Trust me...I'm no "green-thumb"!!!

Calistoga, California