Kousa Dogwood, Chinese Dogwood, Japanese Dogwood
Cornus kousa var. chinensis

Family: Cornaceae
Genus: Cornus (KOR-nus) (Info)
Species: kousa var. chinensis

Seed is poisonous if ingested

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

By grafting

Janesville, Wisconsin

positive
negative

On Jul 20, 2015, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

It is a pretty tree with handsome bark and good red fall color. However, It bears large aggregate red fruit that is good for monkeys in east Asia, but not useful for American wildlife, and it makes such a mess in late summer. I don't recommend having branches hanging over patios, decks, or pavement. The only creatures I have seen eat the decaying fruit on the ground are Yellowjackets and ants. It was planted a lot starting in the 1990's because many thought that the Asian fungus disease of Discula canker would kill off the American Flowering Dogwood when it hit the Mid-Atlantic in the 1990's. Such is not the case. There are still many good, healthy American plants around now in 2015. The American species has small red fruits that are of high wildlife value and are not messy.

On Jun 27, 2013, sybsflowers from Overland Park, KS wrote:

I had 2 of them planted 5 years ago. One is in a sunny location and the other is in more shade. They have never flowered well, maybe 5 or 6 flowers on each. What should I fertilize them with?

Also,they are getting pretty tall, but not spreading out at all. Would it be a good idea to prune them? I do cut off any branches that have no growth on them.

On May 10, 2013, meezer3 from New Lenox, IL (Zone 6a) wrote:

I always have wanted a Dogwood for our area, Zone 5b,but knew that they had certain requirements for their growth so I did my researching and hunted for a more hardy variety and came up with the Korean Dogwood. I selected and planted this particular specie of tree last April (2012). It is about 4 ft high, rather bush like in some respects. We bought it a Lowes, of all places and a reasonable price too.

We used a root stimulator for transplanted trees and amended the soil we planted it in. We planted it in a spot that use to have a beautiful Star Magnolia in it. I researched this tree carefully because this is a sunny location and I know they are under story trees. From what I have learned they can handle more sun then the American Dogwood, and are much more disease and dro... read more

On Jun 1, 2010, wendymadre from Petersburg, VA wrote:

We have had a Cornus kousa in our Zone 7a, Petersburg, VA, yard for thirteen years now. It has grown slowly but steadily. My husband did not consider it as graceful as the wild dogwoods --Cornus florida--but it is not susceptible to the anthracnose which is killing them off. I pruned it to better expose its branches, which has made a significant improvement. It is a lovely tree.