PlantFiles: Chinese Dogwood, Korean Dogwood
Cornus kousa var. chinensis

Family: Cornaceae
Genus: Cornus (KOR-nus) (Info)
Species: kousa var. chinensis

Seed is poisonous if ingested

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
From seed; stratify if sowing indoors
By grafting

Thumbnail #6 of Cornus kousa var. chinensis by plantaholic186

By growin
Thumbnail #7 of Cornus kousa var. chinensis by growin

Neutral sybsflowers On Jun 27, 2013, sybsflowers from Overland Park, KS wrote:

I had 2 of them planted 5 years ago. One is in a sunny location and the other is in more shade. They have never flowered well, maybe 5 or 6 flowers on each. What should I fertilize them with?

Also,they are getting pretty tall, but not spreading out at all. Would it be a good idea to prune them? I do cut off any branches that have no growth on them.

Neutral meezer3 On May 10, 2013, meezer3 from New Lenox, IL (Zone 6a) wrote:

I always have wanted a Dogwood for our area, Zone 5b,but knew that they had certain requirements for their growth so I did my researching and hunted for a more hardy variety and came up with the Korean Dogwood. I selected and planted this particular specie of tree last April (2012). It is about 4 ft high, rather bush like in some respects. We bought it a Lowes, of all places and a reasonable price too.

We used a root stimulator for transplanted trees and amended the soil we planted it in. We planted it in a spot that use to have a beautiful Star Magnolia in it. I researched this tree carefully because this is a sunny location and I know they are under story trees. From what I have learned they can handle more sun then the American Dogwood, and are much more disease and drought resistant too. It did have a few "flowers" on it then, and I noticed the leaves are rather dull and "leathery" to touch. Also "some what ribbed" in texture.

Unfortunately we had one of the hottest summers on record last year for this newly planted young tree. We carefully watered this new tree all summer long. Even though it dropped some leaves then, this year it shows signs of leafing out and we are happy to know that it looks as if it will make it.

The question I have is does it take a long time for it to leaf out? The buds are opening and we are just seeing some green starting to barely appear, almost in slow motion. Is this normal, as all the other trees ( Maples, Crabs, Pears, etc) are way ahead of it. I also understand that these are very slow growing trees. And that they don't bloom until June.

Any additional information you can give would be helpful.

Positive wendymadre On Jun 1, 2010, wendymadre from Petersburg, VA wrote:

We have had a Cornus kousa in our Zone 7a, Petersburg, VA, yard for thirteen years now. It has grown slowly but steadily. My husband did not consider it as graceful as the wild dogwoods --Cornus florida--but it is not susceptible to the anthracnose which is killing them off. I pruned it to better expose its branches, which has made a significant improvement. It is a lovely tree.

East Windsor, Connecticut