PlantFiles: Lewis' Blue Flax, Lewis' Prairie Flax
Linum lewisii

Family: Linaceae
Genus: Linum (LIN-um) (Info)
Species: lewisii (lew-ISS-ee-eye) (Info)

Synonym:Linum lewisii var. lewisii
Synonym:Linum perenne var. lewisii

Medium Blue

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By Kelli

By Kelli
Thumbnail #6 of Linum lewisii by Kelli

By JuniorMintKiss
Thumbnail #7 of Linum lewisii by JuniorMintKiss

Positive ClevelandLinda On Oct 28, 2013, ClevelandLinda from Cleveland, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

I found this plant growing under my bird feeder one summer. The foliage and blooms were so delicate and lovely. I checked the ingredients on the bird seed package, and with the computer, found that it was blue flax. The grocery store had blue flax seed packets along with all the other plant seed they sell. My soil is probably too rich and moist, but several plants survive and flower all summer, and they have self-seeded a little.

I live in Cleveland, Ohio.

Positive Duns On Apr 1, 2013, Duns from Varna, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I grew this plant from seed over 7 years ago. Some have died but most are doing very well. It is a nice blooming plant with interesting foilage. I keep looking for the seed to grow some more but can't find any venders who have seed for sale. Can anybody help me.

Neutral JennyWren102 On Apr 1, 2013, JennyWren102 from Mason, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

Seems finicky for me here in southern lower Michigan and is only a mediocre performer. It's planted for direct sun in the morning, open shade in the afternoon, in a raised bed. Soil might be too rich or moist, but it gets plenty of wind. After five years it hasn't really filled out much and cutting part of it back by half only killed that part of the plant. Slightly disappointing for a plant said to naturalize easily.

Positive dianne99 On Aug 3, 2010, dianne99 from Brookville, KS (Zone 5b) wrote:

short-lived perennial best to replace every 3 years, but reseeds and has long bloom period. cut back by half if blooms stop due to heat. blooms mornings until heat or wind shatter. wintersows well, drought tolerant. good companion plant as nothing- furry or otherwise eats it - esp. for potatoes. usu blooms 1st yr from seed.

Positive weatherguesser On Dec 6, 2009, weatherguesser from Salinas, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I don't know if this is normal or not, but I'm on my second round of these this year. The first was as part of a bunch of wildflower seeds I planted this spring -- quite a few of these came up and I enjoyed the flowers and collected some seed. Apparently I missed quite a few seeds, because a second group showed up in October and began blooming in November. Now it's December and they're still blooming. We do have a mild climate here, so that may have something to do with it.

Tall, thin stems, but they seem to be strong enough not to flop over like many plants. The flowers are small but quite pretty, and with enough of them in bloom the overall effect is very nice.

Positive JuniorMintKiss On May 20, 2008, JuniorMintKiss from Tremonton, UT (Zone 6a) wrote:

These have always been a favorite of mine, ever since I saw one at my grandma's house. They are beautiful, fountain-like flowers with delicate blue petals. The great thing about these are that, once established, they are very drought resistant and can thrive in poor soil, which is good for me because my house is surrounded by sandy soil. I planted them earlier this spring, so they won't bloom until next year but I can wait until then. I can't get enough of this flower!

Positive mambrose On Jul 19, 2007, mambrose from Millis, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Give it well sandy, rocky, infertile soil here in full sun and it thrives. Self sows under these conditions. Damp organic soil dooms it in this region.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 8, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Named for Meriwether Lewis of the Lewis and Clark expeditions.

Richmond, California