PlantFiles: South American Mock Vervain, Moss Verbena
Glandularia pulchella

Family: Verbenaceae (ver-be-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Glandularia (glan-doo-LAIR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: pulchella (pul-KEL-uh) (Info)

Synonym:Glandularia tenuisecta
Synonym:Verbena pulchella
Synonym:Verbena pulchella var. gracilior
Synonym:Verbena tenuisecta
Synonym:Verbena tenuisecta var. alba

Groundcovers

Violet/Lavender
Purple

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

By Xenomorf

Thumbnail #4 of Glandularia pulchella by kennedyh

By amansker
Thumbnail #5 of Glandularia pulchella by amansker

Positive mindyk37 On Jul 5, 2012, mindyk37 from Poland, IN wrote:

I started this purple/lavender beauty from seed last year, it was lovely all summer and into the fall. I didn't expect it'd be back this year, here in zone 5b, but it survived the winter or self-seeded. Most likely it survived the winter because I deadheaded to prolong blooming; and generally, I'm not one to miss a spent bloom. I cruely started it in a bed of compacted clay soil that I've barely amended, because nothing else would thrive there. It didn't mind at all. I water it deeply about once a week followed by some liquid fertilizer. I deadhead faithfully. It's a prolific bloomer, always cheerful and bright. It's about 2 ft in height, despite the death valley weather we've had this year! The bed was so full that I transplanted some to be a filler in a perennial bed. I also lined the front and side of a shed with it. Next, I'm going to do some cuttings to use as fillers in every bed! p.s. it's like it was designed to be paired up with deep pink pinks and bright yellow tickseed. Get you some!

Positive amansker On Sep 26, 2011, amansker from Escondido, CA wrote:

Planted in June in Vista, CA / 9b. Planted both a purple and salmon/red color. Purchased a couple six packs half dead at Lowe's for $2 each. Didn't pay much attention to the soil, clay with some compost. Doused with water once or twice each weak. These things perked up and thrived immediately. They have bloomed prolifically throughout the summer and into late September so far. I suspect they will bloom through October or later. Planted in full sun, south bank on hill. Love these things, but looks like they will spread fast.

Neutral fairygothmom On Mar 30, 2011, fairygothmom from Glen Cove, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Seeds were sold to me as a perennial. In Zone 6b, they are not. Had no success with direct sowing, but seeds started in a plastic iced coffee cup last summer have lasted all winter indoors, and the established plants will be hardened off and added to fence baskets in a couple of weeks.

Positive Debndal On Sep 12, 2010, Debndal from Coppell, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Even tho this plant has been listed here as hardy only to zone 9, I have had it in my zone 8a garden for 3 years. It dies back to the roots in winter, but sprouts again (or maybe it's reseeding) when the weather starts to warm. I do miss a spring bloom here, but in late summer and fall it blooms like crazy, and the late start also keeps it from taking over too much of the garden. I have it planted in one area with winecups - when wine cups are done, the moss verbena takes over. Also planted in another area with little bunny fountain grass, 4 nerve daisy, blackfoot daisy, and zinnia augustifolia which all prefer dry conditions. I have clay soil and in the area where they are planted, ammended with sand and expanded shale. Very pretty, and so far it's been reliable.

Positive kittysue On May 17, 2010, kittysue from Fairborn, OH wrote:

Bumblebees and Hummingbird Clearwing Moths visit this plant daily when it is in bloom. The Clearwing Moths seem to take there time and visit each bloom. However, the low growing nature of this plant and Clearwing Moths' hovering nature makes them easy prey for bored outdoor cats, which can decimate the population in a few hours. The cats don't eat them, they just bat them around until they can't fly anymore. Aside from this, though the Clearwing Moths are nearly identical in size to the Bumblebees and have a similar coloring, but the cats don't bother the Bumblebees.

Midland City, Alabama