Dwarf Holly
Malpighia coccigera

Family: Malpighiaceae
Genus: Malpighia (mal-PEE-gee-uh) (Info)
Species: coccigera

Groundcovers

By serpentine layering

Vero Beach, Florida

On Nov 16, 2014, RosemaryK from Lexington, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Also known as Singapore Holly. I am growing it indoors in the same medium as citrus, but it does not require as much sun.

On Sep 28, 2013, rkwright85 from Horton, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

Nice house plant and not very demanding. Likes some sun but can grow under artificial lights (14-16 hours). Excellent bonsai and easy to propagate. I bought this at Hidden Lake Gardens and when I got home I discovered it had a pretty severe mealy bug problem. I was able to treat it and have not had a problem since. I'm not sure if this is a common problem but probably not a bad idea to keep an eye out for it.

On Jul 3, 2012, MTVineman from Helena, MT (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a great little ( or maybe big in some cases ) plant and I've come to really like it even though I didn't really order it or buy it per se. This was an extra surprise plant I received from the guys at Glasshouse Works. They are always adding a couple surprises to my orders and they seem to know exactly what types of plants I like. This one has turned out to be a favourite now along with a Hoya fungii they also sent me as a surprise. This Malpighia looks very much like a holly of some type but it's not even closely related to the Ilex hollies. This plant grows in the same area as it's sister, the Barbados Cherry or Acerola ( Malpighia glabra, I believe ). It makes quite a lovely indoor/outdoor plant for those of us in the northern climes. It tunrs into a nice lower growing shrub with... read more

On Aug 27, 2004, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a very attractive plant, but it isn't a holly (Ilex) at all. It is very tender and must be protected from the cold in central Florida. It prefers a fertile soil and light shade.

On Aug 26, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

A low growing small holly like plant with shiny toothed leaves and sporadic pinkish/white flowers throughout the year. This plant makes a beautiful bonsai and a good houseplant.