Bigleaf Ligularia, Leopard Plant, Golden Groundsel
Ligularia dentata 'Britt Marie Crawford'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ligularia (lig-yoo-LAR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: dentata (den-TAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Britt Marie Crawford

Partial to Full Shade

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Dark/Black

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

Flowers are good for cutting

Quitzdorf Am See,

Fallston, Maryland

Clawson, Michigan

East Tawas, Michigan

Plainwell, Michigan

Minneapolis, Minnesota (2 reports)

Perham, Minnesota

Langley, Washington

Olympia, Washington

Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin

On Apr 25, 2014, RobertWM from Clawson, MI wrote:

Trouble free, easy growing plant for moist, shady areas. Came through the worst winter in a century without problems. Some people have reported slug problems but I've only had minimal issues with slugs, much less than on hostas. Very occasionally reseeds itself and comes true to seed so you will have one or two more plants to spot around and enjoy. Nothing to dislike.

On Jun 8, 2011, Bazuhi from Downers Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Year is 2011 and this plant was actaully planted in my garden in 2010, so this is it's first actual year of growth since I never count the first year. I saw this plant a couple years in a row at the local Home Depot and wouldn't purchase it due to actually looking it up on the net and finding that it prefers a damper soil. I also read that the snails and slugs also love this plant and to put sand around it to keep them away. Well I broke down and bought 2 of this variety and 2 of the Ligularia Stenocephala Litte Rocket. Yes when it gets really hot the leaves do droop but I see my coneflowers doing the same thing, I am not home a lot and so far it hasn't affected them but we have been getting rain in between the hot spells. The foliage is ok but not growing as aggressive as the Little Rocke... read more

On May 11, 2009, gardenlady123 from Plainwell, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have several other ligularias and absolutly love this one also. Could kick myself for not buying one sooner. Georgeous dark foliage and the bonus flowers the end of summer! Butterflies love them also. Ronna

On Sep 7, 2007, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Very nice foliage, contrasts well with the orange blooms. Blooms August - September in my garden. USPP #16113

On Jan 23, 2007, ademink from Indianapolis, IN wrote:

One of my favorite plants of all time! Gorgeous foliage, cheery flowers, tough plant that grows like a champ! It runs a very close second to my #1 obsession...hostas. :) Makes an excellent companion plant to hostas and the purple foliage sets it apart from other shade plants. I don't find this particular variety to wilt as badly as other Ligularia when the sun really starts beating down.

A "must-have" in any garden, for sure!

On Nov 20, 2006, joanlc from Perham, MN (Zone 3b) wrote:

The flowers are lightly fragrant, in a way that reminds me of the perfumed powder my mother used to wear; not as heavy as a perfume. If grown in conditions they favor, these plants are eye-catching for their foliage, and even more so when in full bloom. Visitors to our nursery display gardens comment on them most during spring, when the leaves are richly colored and shiny, and during August, which is their blooming time in Zone 3b. I've collected seeds and will see if any of them come true, though it seems unlikely.

On Feb 11, 2006, SushiMN from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

I've grown this gorgeous plant for about 5 years, and virtually every visitor to my garden notices and admires it. I don't particularly care for the flowers (in fact, I discard them), but the rich dark foliage is spectacular!

On May 3, 2005, lego_brickster from Lawrenceville, PA (Zone 5b) wrote:

This has been showing up at our local nurseries the last year or two. We picked up a couple as soon as we saw them.
We love the dark foliage and bright flowers.
Easy to care for as long as it does not get too much afternoon sun, which will make it wilt like other Ligularia. Slugs have not bothered it so far, Unlike some of our other damp shade plants.