Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Sunflower 'Strawberry Blonde'

Helianthus annuus

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Helianthus (hee-lee-AN-thus) (Info)
Species: annuus (AN-yoo-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Strawberry Blonde

Flowers are good for cutting

Not Applicable

Pale Yellow

Maroon (Purple-Brown)

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Colorado Springs, Colorado

La Grange Park, Illinois

Halifax, Massachusetts

Lincoln, Nebraska

On Jun 30, 2011, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Seedlings up about 6inches. Can't wait should be ready in time for the oldest gals birthday...great cutting bouquets I see.

On Mar 18, 2008, badhuman from Colorado Springs, CO wrote:

My seed packet says they need full light, 7-21 days to germinate, 18in of plant spacing and they grow to be 6 feet tall.

It also says to sow in average garden soil in spring after danger of frost. Sow seeds 9in apart and cover with 1/2in of fine soil. Thin seedlings when plants are 3in high.

I just planted these seeds a couple weeks ago and from the initial batch only four seeds germinated successfully but the seeds were a couple years old and they had been stored wherever they ended up so...

I don't know if they will end up being true to the picture on the seed packet.

On Aug 27, 2004, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

If I get a picture I'll upload one...... strawberry blonde is supposed to be a yellow and pink sunflower....... well the sunflower isn't really vaguely pink........ it's mostly maroon like many sunflowers....... there is a vague pink effect ........ and some flowers look more like dark cherry but no pink......... there is pale yellow so I guess this flower is not strawberry but blonde........ a better name might be black cherry blonde........ It is bicolored and looks like most of the bicolored with a dark ring around the center....... not pink and nothing special...... still pretty though........