Korean Evodia, Bee Bee Tree
Tetradium daniellii

Family: Rutaceae (roo-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tetradium
Species: daniellii (dan-ee-EL-ee-eye) (Info)
Synonym:Evodia baberi

Louisville, Kentucky

Reisterstown, Maryland

Saint Louis, Missouri

Lincoln, Nebraska

Cincinnati, Ohio (2 reports)

Mcalester, Oklahoma

Pottstown, Pennsylvania

Belton, Texas

La Coste, Texas

Haymarket, Virginia

Reston, Virginia

On Apr 11, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Of the flowering shade trees, this is one of the latest to bloom---in late July-August here in Boston (Z6a). It does not bloom in spring or early summer.

The flowers are greenish and though profuse I don't find them especially showy. Also, they are in the tops of the trees and far overhead---out of sight unless you step back and crane your head looking for them.

But the bees and other beneficial insects certainly do love them.

This species has no significant pests or diseases.

On Apr 10, 2015, miles_raymond from Olathe, KS wrote:

I planted 2 bee bee trees from transplants 20 years ago. I don't remember how long it took to bloom, but they have been blooming each year for many many years. They are covered with profuse blooms that the bees love. I am a beekeeper. It seems that the trees are either male or female. My two appear to be both male as they have never produced seed. Another beekeeper that I know has 2 trees that both produce seeds. I'm going to try to start some of those seeds this year.

On Jul 24, 2013, Cotesa from Reisterstown, MD wrote:

Our Korean Evodia, Bee Bee Tree was planted 35 years ago when only 3' high. It took 12 years to produce three clusters of flowers. It was 15 feet high. The next year there were no flowers.

Thankfully, as it grew, more clusters appeared.
My yard is planted to attract birds and butterflies so when the tree reached 25' and produced many blossoms, I was sure butterflies would nectar on the clusters. Wrong. Not only that, but the birds paid no attention to the tiny berries. What a disappointment! But at least we enjoyed standing under the tree and listening to the intriguing buzzy sounds of the insects.

The tree is approx 35' now and probably wider than that. And finally, butterflies discovered the blossoms. This summer the tree produced hundreds of cluster... read more

On Jun 23, 2013, leite14 from Fairfax, VA wrote:

I bought four small seedlings from Lazy S'S Farm over the last couple years. I accidentally mowed over my first one (yikes!) but watched it recover its growth by the end of the season. I bought three more this year and they are all growing steadily. I am a beekeeper and purchased these for the honey bees. I had investigated the plant before and it was not on any invasive species lists. I figured my honey bees need all the help they can get and as long as it isn't terribly invasive, I'd give it a try. My plants are years away from blooming but we've already enjoyed the attractive foliage. If you rub the leaves, the foliage has an unpleasant smell, similar to Tree of Heaven. It's not something you smell as you walk by. I can't wait to see these pretty trees in bloom!

On Jan 31, 2008, Rhamnella from Palmetto, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Beloved of honeybees.

On Jul 4, 2007, rllargen from Bethalto, IL wrote:

I have three Evodia trees, one about 6 feet tall, two that the deer keep eating the top off. The six foot tree had it's first blossom last year and again this year, one cluster of blossoms. It was planted for my honey bees but so far they have not noticed it. The two smaller trees are in bottom ground, well drained and droughts in the summer. The taller is on clay base soil with about 4 inches of fairly good. dry, topsoil. I am near Bethalto, IL.

On Dec 3, 2006, ViburnumValley from Scott County, KY (Zone 5b) wrote:

Korean Evodia (now known botanically as Tetradium daniellii) is an easy to grow medium-size tree reaching 40+ feet after many decades. Also sometimes known as Korean bee tree since it attracts hordes of pollinators when in bloom, this smooth gray-barked tree boasts large clusters of fine white flowers in midsummer when there are not many trees in bloom.

The pollinated flowers form dry fruiting structures that turn reddish to pink, extending the ornamental quality of this tree. As they mature, the structures dry to a beige color and split, revealing the small jet-black seeds. The clean glossy pinnately compound foliage turns a butter yellow in the fall.