Blood Orange
Citrus sinensis 'Moro'

Family: Rutaceae (roo-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Citrus (SIT-rus) (Info)
Species: sinensis (sy-NEN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Moro

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Aromatic

Los Angeles, California

Moreno Valley, California

Mountain View, California

Oak View, California

Ridgemark, California (2 reports)

Sacramento, California

Brownsville, Texas

Converse, Texas

Galveston, Texas

On Oct 13, 2010, plantsNfashion from Harper Woods, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

To my surprise, and delight, this has been the easiest citrus variety to grow indoors. (In my experience at least.) I absolutely love this plant, and everything it has to offer!

On Apr 27, 2010, woodrok from Gulf Shores, AL wrote:

I planted a Moro Blood orange tree 5 years ago. It is now about 12-14 feet high but has yet to bloom. I have never seen a flower on it. Is this common for this type of tree? I have other citrus like naval, tangerine and lemon that all were planted around the same time that bloom and fruit every year. Is there something these blood orange trees need to bring them to flower or is there a maturation period before they do so?

On Jan 30, 2010, jacuarundi from San Jacinto, CA wrote:

I moved into my house 8 years ago and there was a brand new dwarf blood orange tree in my back yard about 3 feet high. That first year it produced one little sour orange without much red in it. And it had not produced anything since then. But this year it produced, and it produced big time! We've already taken at least 30 oranges off of it and there are probably 100 more still on the little, now 5 ft. tree. And the flesh and juice is as dark as beet flesh and juice. When I cut them they stain my fingers. What did we do to the tree? Nothing. But my father tells me that new fruit trees usually don't produce right away. They need a couple of years to establish themselves. Well, its been 8 years, but I guess he is right. My blood oranges are all the rage now.

On Sep 20, 2009, Psykofax from Portland, OR wrote:

Beautiful tree that hasn't flowered since I bought it covered with blossoms ten years ago. I keep it in a container year round with my other citrus, it does fine. Only bring them in during serious cold snaps or lengthy freezes. Would love for it to flower again. Anyone know how to do that? Fertilizers, careful pruning, regular watering, nothing has worked. Started as a twig, now large and lovely. Fruit was deep red and tasty the one time it produced. It's the only citrus I have that never blooms.

In Portland, Oregon.

On Jul 28, 2007, Okazaki from Farmington, NM wrote:

I am not quite sure why this happens every year, but my blood orange suddenly looses all of its leaves, and then goes trough a cycle of rampant growth.

I do not know what is going on. If anyone has any information about this phenomenon, please comment.

X

On Mar 14, 2007, bleacherdave from Hollister, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

We have a blood orange in our backyard that came with the house. We do nothing to it but pluck and eat the fruit. Their smallish oranges with dark red insides. Great for eating out of hand, and excellent in fruit juice mixes.

On Oct 5, 2006, Loracole from San Antonio, FL wrote:

2 trees, 2 years old. Still small in stature but prolific producers for their size. Fruit is quite small and last year the orange flesh was not the dark red color I had been hoping for but I have my fingers crossed for this years crop.

On Feb 6, 2006, bigmuddy from moura
Australia wrote:

A lovely small tree with deep green foliage, prefers light fertile free draining soil in full sun , Water generously by deep soaking over hot months. Frost tolerant. FOR BEST RESULTS: Use citrus fertiliser in early spring and early fall,
Sweet variety requiring hot dry conditions for best colour. Blood oranges have their own distinctive flavour .

On Aug 5, 2005, samkay from Pensacola, FL wrote:

tree is prolific however some brown spots on small fruit.

On Oct 8, 2004, marshtackie from Orlando, FL wrote:

Blood oranges produce perfectly good fruit in Florida, but they rarely produce much, if any, of that beautiful color. Apparently you need a more Mediterranean climate for that. It seems that blood oranges need significant variation between daytime and nighttime temperatures, which they don't usually get in Florida, to develop the color. Also, I've heard that the outside color develops due to different factors than the inside color.

Some say that Moro is more likely than other blood orange varieties to develop the coloration under a range of conditions, including in California. I would cheerfully try it, but the only sources I know of are in California and Texas--and they can't ship to us.

The varieties of blood orange I HAVE grown here were Ruby or one just la... read more