PlantFiles: Field Pussytoes
Antennaria neglecta

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Antennaria (an-ten-AR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: neglecta (nay-GLEK-tuh) (Info)

under 6 in. (15 cm)

By DiOhio
Thumbnail #2 of Antennaria neglecta by DiOhio

By Chillybean
Thumbnail #3 of Antennaria neglecta by Chillybean

Positive Chillybean On Aug 26, 2014, Chillybean from Near Central, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I was drew to this plant by its common name, Prairie Pussytoes. Even though I dislike outdoor cats, that is a cute name. Also like the Latin name, Antennaria neglecta, as it reminds me of our delightful yard bird, Sturnella neglecta. I'll let you search to find out who. The neglected things seem to be enjoyable once discovered.

I was looking for a good, native ground cover to fit our soil conditions- full sun, clay sub-soil and on a slight incline. We wanted something to fill in the area around our new Chimney Swift towers with an attached garage. :) This fits the bill. I will plant more this coming spring.

It's a tight spreading plant, nothing is growing among it. The Prairie Pussytoes requires little water, even this first year. Once I learned that detail and stopped watering so much, it really started growing after I thought it was a goner. According to the USDA website, it is a slow grower. Compared to many weeds and even other natives we have, this is definitely true. It only grew to a width of about four and a half inches this summer. We have space to allow the natives to spread at will, but I think it might work in a more contained area.

Positive Erutuon On May 24, 2011, Erutuon from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

Found a patch of a pussytoes in the lawn next to our church. I can't say for sure the species, but perhaps this one. This spring (2011) I dug two plants and put them in our garden; so far they're doing well!

Neutral jleigh On May 16, 2010, jleigh from Ballston Lake, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

I saw this cute little plant growing in the wild on a recent hike in the Adirondacks. There were fuzzy little patches sprouting up all over in the field. Definately an adorable plant, but also very invasive from what I saw.

Neutral DiOhio On Nov 17, 2004, DiOhio from Corning, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Antennaria neglecta is a perennial native of Ohio and grows in small colonies in my yard and field.
It is an allelopathic plant, giving off chemicals that "poison" the soil for other plants, and thus reduces competition for sunlight and moisture. So if you plant this flower in your garden, be careful where you plant it !
It is also a host plant for the American Painted Lady butterfly.

Neutral smiln32 On Nov 16, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant is a groundcover and needs good drainage to thrive. It loves sunny conditions. It is also called "Cat's Foot" because of the way to flowers look. Blooms April to July.

Yale, Iowa