Field Pussytoes

Antennaria neglecta

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Antennaria (an-ten-AR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: neglecta (nay-GLEK-tuh) (Info)

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Yale, Iowa

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Ballston Lake, New York

Glouster, Ohio

Georgetown, Texas

On Aug 26, 2014, Chillybean from Near Central, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Editing to include: Be careful what you believe in the comment section of this or any other PlantFile page! There is no verification process and sometimes our experiences, or info we glean from the web is not true for each and every plant and situation.

A comment below claims "It is an allelopathic plant", meaning it will poison the soil to prevent competition for resources. After I found this page, I expected nothing to grow up among this plant. That ended up not being the case in my second year with my pussytoes. The alien white clover had no problem creeping down and among the plant. I will be more careful in the future to keep the weeds from having free reign in the area.

I was drawn to this plant by its common name, Prairie Pussytoes. Even thoug... read more

On May 24, 2011, Erutuon from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

Found a patch of a pussytoes in the lawn next to our church. I can't say for sure the species, but perhaps this one. This spring (2011) I dug two plants and put them in our garden; so far they're doing well!

On May 16, 2010, jleigh from Ballston Lake, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

I saw this cute little plant growing in the wild on a recent hike in the Adirondacks. There were fuzzy little patches sprouting up all over in the field. Definately an adorable plant, but also very invasive from what I saw.

On Nov 17, 2004, DiOhio from Corning, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Antennaria neglecta is a perennial native of Ohio and grows in small colonies in my yard and field.
It is an allelopathic plant, giving off chemicals that "poison" the soil for other plants, and thus reduces competition for sunlight and moisture. So if you plant this flower in your garden, be careful where you plant it !
It is also a host plant for the American Painted Lady butterfly.

On Nov 16, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant is a groundcover and needs good drainage to thrive. It loves sunny conditions. It is also called "Cat's Foot" because of the way to flowers look. Blooms April to July.