Coneflower
Echinacea 'Sunrise'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Echinacea (ek-in-AY-shee-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Sunrise
Additional cultivar information:(PP16235, Big Sky Series)
Hybridized by Saul
Registered or introduced: 2006

Pale Yellow

This plant is resistant to deer

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Mount Horeb, Wisconsin

River Falls, Wisconsin

Watertown, Wisconsin

On Jun 4, 2014, Eldine from Wellsville, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

I'm a coneflower lover but I finally got rid of this one after a few years of tolerating it. It bloomed a so-so amount, never seemed to get any bigger over the years, and the color was just a dull pale yellow. I also had problems with odd shaped, mutant petals. Had it in full sun in zone 4. (I bought "Sunset" at the same time. That one was so bad with screwed up, weird shaped petal that I dug it up the second year...you can't even buy it anymore.)

On Sep 27, 2013, winnierenee from Garden City, MI wrote:

I had problems with rabbits eating my plants. I finally put wire cages around them so they could get established. Hopefully, they will perform better next year.

On Aug 26, 2010, gardeningfun from Harpersfield, OH (Zone 5a) wrote:

Love this coneflower! It is one of my favorites! I have had great success with it this first year. I planted a nice size pot of them and they took off this summer! They are beautiful and a great yellow. I have them in front of a lilac bush and I think it has protected them from direct sun, which is maybe why they are so yellow? So I recommend some shade. They have bloomed beautifully! I posted two pictures of them for you all. I have collected the seeds from the dried ones and am spreading them all over my gardens, I love them so much!

On Jul 26, 2010, Rat_Wrangler from Bay City, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

I just planted this in the spring but so far I am very pleased with it. The flowers are a lovely pale yellow they make a nice contrast against my Penstemon "Mystica"s purple leaves. The stem with the most blooms (8 or so) is a bit floppy, but it leans against the penstemons and so far hasn't needed a ring or support. I'll be interested in watching this plant mature into next year etc.

On Jul 22, 2009, echinaceamaniac from (Clint) Medina, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

VERY VERY negative! These have random quilled petals that totally ruin the look of the blooms. The blooms fade so quickly that if you blink you'll miss the yellow. After a short while they look like a sick "White Swan" that has deformed blooms.

These are a total waste of money unless you like something out of Chernobyl growing in your garden.

On Mar 20, 2008, guspuppy from Warren, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love this flower! I have found that the flowers keep their color much longer if the plant is in morning sun with some afternoon shade, they wont fade so quickly.
Kathy

On Mar 23, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

For info. only:
Developed by Itsaul Plants of Georgia, the Big Sky series of Echinaceas are crosses of E. purpurea -- the traditional Purple Coneflower -- and E. paradoxa. They are heavy-blooming, unusually long-lasting, and sport a range of brand-new colors for the family.

On Jul 13, 2006, Cybrczch from Lincoln, NE (Zone 5b) wrote:

Bought a plant last year at a clearance sale, and another one this spring. So far only last year's plant has blossomed.... I've posted the picture - apparently I have a mutant.

On Jul 6, 2006, nanny_56 from Putnam County, IN (Zone 5b) wrote:

I added this plant this spring and it has been a pleasant surprise. It has been a prolific bloomer. I will mention that I bought a good healthy plant from local nursery so I had a head start versus mail order. It definitely stays!

On Jun 8, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Most fragrant of any of the echinaceas I have.

On Dec 6, 2005, bigcityal from Menasha, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Nice coneflower, tough grower.