Tennessee Ostrich Fern, Glade Fern, Narrow Leaf Spleenwort, Narrow Leaf Glade Fern
Diplazium pycnocarpon

Family: Woodsiaceae
Genus: Diplazium (dy-PLAY-zee-um) (Info)
Species: pycnocarpon (PIK-no-kar-pon) (Info)
Synonym:Asplenium pycnocarpon

Lipan, Texas

Santo, Texas

Wytheville, Virginia

On May 8, 2010, bottlegreen from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

The photograph of this fern offered by Garden Harvest Supply certainly doesn't look like Athyrium (Diplazium) pycnocarpon, nor does their description of the fern as "lacy" sound like the real thing. I'm on my second attempt to grow this from spores. This time I've actually gotten gametophytes, but they don't seem to be having sex. Any suggestions?

On Apr 24, 2010, GranMona from Franklin, TN wrote:

Bought @ end of season, 10/09...8 inch pot. Intended to plant or garage for winter, but forgot. I left it outside, under the eave of our 2 story house. We had a very harsh winter in Franklin, Tn and I expected the little feller to be dead....but I was WRONG! He's sprouted, I moved him to a bigger pot, and he's so happy!
I expect to leave him in this big pot, due to heavy spreading I've read about. Anyone else in middle Tennessee have the same guy? What can you share? I was truly amazed with the plant, after our harsh winter. I will probably garage him this winter, unless someone in zone has comments? Also, I plan to start a fern garden...hints appreciated and cuttings as well.
Happy Spring

On Feb 20, 2009, wormfood from Lecanto, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I just picked up a 4-pack at local box store for 5bucks. They look pretty good, starting to sprout in the bag. Planting today in yogart containers with potting mix that has the wetting agent added.. They are long tubers and I'm planting them longways 1/2" deep. I'll keep this updated. BTW, there were 6 in the package.

On Oct 7, 2004, tcfromky from Mercer, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

This plant is of special concern in Wisconsin (and possibly other states as well). The name is translated as: Diplazium: Greek diplasion for "double", referring doubled spore cover
pycnocarpon: pycnos for "compact, close"; carpos for "fruit"