Echinopsis Hybrid, Trichocereus Hybrid 'Flying Saucer'

Family: Cactaceae (kak-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Echinopsis (ek-in-OP-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Flying Saucer
Hybridized by Britsch

Cactus and Succulents

Partial to Full Shade

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Chandler, Arizona (2 reports)

Green Valley, Arizona

Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)

Tucson, Arizona

Reseda, California

Riverside, California

Henderson, Nevada

Las Vegas, Nevada (2 reports)

Kermit, Texas

Saint George, Utah

On Oct 16, 2013, Snowball2 from St George, UT wrote:

This is the first season. Prolific bloomer. Transplanted from container to ground (red rock acidic soil) . No blooms after late June. In ground drip irrigation, and additional weekly soaking. I was away for 5 weeks (mid July to late Aug. the hottest time of the year 105+F ) and it only received drip watering. It was thick and full when I left and returned to a much thinner plant ! It has swelled again.
I wonder how hardy these cacti are. I was told to cover it and put a light bulb under the cover on cold nights. Just how cold I wonder? Our Oct. nights currently in St. George are mid 40's F.

On Apr 10, 2012, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

One of the most spectacular and reliable bloomers I have grown. Plant itself is rather large and quickly topples over under its own weight (rec: support this one). Flowers are enormous and photos rarely do this one justice. In my garden in southern California these open up in the morning, last all day and fade later the second day. Fortunately my plant blooms over a period of about two weeks, so not all the blooms come at once. Still, way to ephemeral for me!

On Apr 17, 2009, ntehawk from Las Vegas, NV wrote:

7 years ago, these cacti were found thrown away to the side of the highway near Sedona, Arizona. A friend gave me two, which were approximately 2 inches in diameter at that time, and now, there are seven Echinopsis. I planted them in desert soil (Las Vegas, Nevada), in a partially shaded and protected area in my garden which faces east. They are on drip irrigation and are watered daily. I just love these little guys!

On Apr 8, 2005, cacti_lover from Henderson, NV (Zone 9b) wrote:

Stunning flowers are 7"-8" across, but usually last for only one day. They open in the evening.

On Sep 3, 2004, Xenomorf from Valley of the Sun, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

Hybridized by Hans Britsch of Western Cactus Enterprises. Introduced by Western Cactus Enterprises