Hoya, Wax Plant, Hindu Rope, Indian Rope, Angel Rope, Porcelain Flower
Hoya compacta 'Variegata'

Family: Asclepiadaceae (ass-kle-pee-ad-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hoya (HOY-a) (Info)
Species: compacta (kom-PAK-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Variegata
Additional cultivar information:(aka Regalis, Compacta)
Hybridized by Cobia
Synonym:Hoya carnosa

Succulent

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Whittier, California

Cape Coral, Florida

Clearwater, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)

Lake Mary, Florida

Milton, Florida

Orlando, Florida

Saint Augustine, Florida

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Sanford, Florida

Sarasota, Florida (2 reports)

Tallahassee, Florida

Henderson, Nevada

West Linn, Oregon

Plano, Texas

On Feb 1, 2014, kathy__bee from Plano, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have 3 different varieties of this plant. I love them all. The H. compacta (green form) is a fast grower. The other two H. compacta variegata (green leaf with a white margin) and H. comp variegata regalis (white leaf with a green margin) are both very slow growers. Probably due to lack of chlorophyll in the leaves. I have grown them in warm shade with high moisture and also indoors in a uncovered south facing window with all day sun.The brighter light produced very vivid pinks and purple new growth.
I wouldn't dare put these outside in direct full sun, but indoors seems to be fine. The variegated ones seem to be harder to start from cuttings, esp in the cooler months. Mine have not bloomed, but they are not mature enough to be potbound yet. But, they are beautiful even without bl... read more

On Aug 5, 2010, Nona48 from Henderson, NV wrote:

I love this plant!! Have had my Hindu rope for approximately one year. I keep indoors in a west facing window. I give it a deep water 1 - 2 times a month, during the warm months. I cut down on watering during the cool months. Second plant I have had. First one did not like the move from Wash. st to Nev.

On Jun 19, 2010, aspenbooboo41 from Whitehall, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

On May 19, 2009, janihani from West Jordan, UT wrote:

Love this plant. Got me one when I saw my neighbors. But I am having problem with it getting a white "fungus" or "mold". can anyone help with saving it. I have it indoors, for now.

On Oct 21, 2008, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Fast grower, hardy and long lived. However, the older it gets, the less it flowers. Being too potbound may also affect flowering. Replanting w/ fresh soil every few years is good for this plant. Mine is potted outdoors, shade, requires little maintenance. Be careful not to overwater.

On May 29, 2008, ROBERTSONB from New Carlisle, IN wrote:

THIS IS MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE PLANT. I RECEIVED IT IN A POT WHEN I HAD MY OLDEST DAUGHTER OVER 30 YEARS AGO. IT HAS FOUR FOOT LENGTHS THAT I'VE TIED UP AROUND A PLANT HANGER TO KEEP IT SAFE FROM MY DOGS. BUT IT HASNT BLOOMED IN YEARS. HAVE TRIED TO START NEW PIECES IN WATER & SOIL WITH NO LUCK. HAVE FED MIRACLE GROW BLOOM BOOSTER PERIODICALLY. WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT BLOOM.

On Jun 26, 2005, Frazmo from West Linn, OR wrote:

I just love this plant. I have it hanging in a north facing window and it seems to love it. I haven't had it very long (about 3 months) so I haven't seen it bloom. Great plant....