PlantFiles: Houttuynia
Houttuynia cordata

Family: Saururaceae
Genus: Houttuynia (hoo-TY-nee-uh) (Info)
Species: cordata (kor-DAY-tuh) (Info)

Groundcovers

Thumbnail #6 of Houttuynia cordata by linda_nc

By linda_nc
Thumbnail #7 of Houttuynia cordata by linda_nc

Negative coriaceous On Apr 1, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I have found this to be the noxious weed that most others here have found it. It's one of the most aggressive weeds I know.

I notice that the variegated form often loses the variegation and reverts to the plain-leafed species.

One other point: I find that this plant can self-sow. I have found a few seedlings as far as 30 feet away from the original planting. So don't count on a root barrier to confine its spread.

Neutral pjoid123 On May 23, 2012, pjoid123 from Spotsylvania, VA wrote:

This plant can be a bane if planted in the wrong location. If you have an area where you do not care where the plant roams, it is a great ground cover. Unlike its cultivar "Chameleon" it can withstand fairly dense shade very well. It's impossible to kill, so I just pull up individuals that have roamed too far. I wear rubber gloves when pulling up the plants as it stinks to high heaven--like yesterday's garbage. In the Far East, some folks eat the plant and it supposedly has medicinal properties. Better them than me!

Positive cimonc On May 3, 2011, cimonc from Grand Rapids, MI wrote:

I can see how the variegated one is not as appealing as the solid green one. I have the solid green one and I also love it. I have had it for 6 years and it has contained itself nicely filling in and standing up to 2 feet around my larger perennials. I love the dainty white flowers that look like they are floating in between other plants or floating in the air.

Negative SuFre On Feb 24, 2011, SuFre from Lexington, SC wrote:

This plant will take over the planet if given the chance. DO NOT plant it! It has completely taken over almost every bed at my mother's house, and it is impossible to eradicate. I have spent several years painting leaves with poison, and although part of that plant might die, the far-stretching roots send up more plants in response. The roots are spongy and elastic and there is no way to get them completely out of the soil. My mother shared two hostas with me and in the soil lay the deathly roots which now bring me houttuynia in the weirdest spots ever. Every year for the past five years I have had to watch diligently for the plant to erupt at which time I go nuts! I dig carefully to try to get all the root - but I NEVER do. It is the durge of the plant world. And stinky too. Your fingers smell horrible! DO NOT be tempted by the pretty foliage and flowers.

Positive rosalma On Oct 10, 2010, rosalma from Mendon, MA wrote:

I was quite surprised to see the amount of negatives for houttuynia. I absolutely love it, but then I have it growing in a huge (24" round x 15" deep) pot right next to my fountain. It gets morning shade and from 10:00 am until sunset it's in full sun. The colors are gorgious (lots of creamy yellow, peach & orange, lime green, and then the tiny white flowers.) I tried putting some in the ground, but it never came back for me, so I guess our MA winters are too cold. I do bring the pot in every fall and leave it in the garage - it's in full swing by April, and then goes back outside - I've been doing this for 6 years now. I add a little fish emulsion once it starts to grow and then every couple weeks through the summer. Love the orangy scent too. I also grew it in the ground in SC, and it was never an invasive plant for me there either - maybe it all depends on the type of soil? I had sandy soil in SC.

Negative spiderburban On Aug 12, 2010, spiderburban from Dearborn Heights, MI wrote:

Run screaming from this plant! It is extremely invasive and will over power all your good perennials very quickly. It seems to love swamp-wet or desert arid..shade or blazing sun. It smells absolutely putrid & vile when you are bending over it ripping its rapidly spreading root system from varying depths/levels of soil. we spent hours pulling every root out we could find, filling 4 lawn bags full of the stuff before we put down sod, AFTER dumping Preen and spraying Round-up all over the area-it is happily waving its new leaves from inbetween sod blades of grass...im at my wits end at how to kill this beast!! It even crawls under sidewalks and over brick walls-there is no stopping it once its on the move!! Im outside detroit, mich and winter freezing/snow doesnt even do anything

Negative butch1 On Aug 9, 2010, butch1 from Eureka, CA wrote:

Just don't consider planting this obnoxious pest, period. It is a nightmare. Roundup kills the tops but enough runners survive to bring out a new, even bigger, spring crop. Intentionally planting this monster in my garden was the worst mistake I ever made!!

Negative gigglespat42 On Apr 7, 2010, gigglespat42 from Atlanta, GA wrote:

wow, this is the worst plant I have ever come across, in a year it has overtaken my large center flower garden, it is EVERYWHERE! it intertwines with other plants roots and strangles them, it smells horrific! Even when I soak the garden I cannot pull up more than 8 inches or so of the roots, after 3 hrs of pulling up this plant I have only 'removed' 1/8 of it visibly from the garden. Please oh please I hope someone can find something to kill it!

Negative Valbaby On Jul 4, 2009, Valbaby from Norristown, PA wrote:

I echo everyone else's sentiments about this plant. I think it is pleasing to the eye and can be effective in covering a large area quickly, however it's almost impossible to eradicate.

I have come across a product that is helping me. It's called Vine-X. If you Google it you will find it. It's not expensive but it seems to work better than your average weed and vine killers. It goes to the roots to kill the plant and seems to slow it's spread. What I like about it is that you brush it on the plant rather than spray (and kill nearby plants who are behaving). After only about 24 hours I see the plant dying off. I give it a few days to get to the root and kill it, then I dig up the plant from the roots.

I'm trying to stay on top of all new growth. It's not easy, I think it may take another full season and I should be rid of it.

This plant is now growing THROUGH my retaining wall and invading my lawn!

Negative blossomkat On Jun 20, 2009, blossomkat from Gaithersburg, MD wrote:

I live in Gaithersburg, MD and I purchased this plant because I was looking for ground cover in a shady area. I have a very smal front yard (town house), and the two plants that I purchased have multiplied into an invasion. It chokes out everything in it's way. It smells horrible. I would not recommend this plant even if you have a large area. Eventually it will overwhelm everything. The Maryland Cooperative Extension Service suggested that I dig deep to get rid of the roots

Neutral Nick1 On Mar 17, 2009, Nick1 from Plainfield, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

I grow this for its culinary value. This plant is used in SE Asian cuisine. In china is known as zhe er gen or yu xing cao (meaning fishy smell). Both the roots and leaves are used. It is, however, quite invasive.

Negative peony01 On Mar 13, 2007, peony01 from Prattville, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Although this plant is a an excellent ground cover, in my area, zone 8a, it is a very aggressive plant. If you grow it in raised beds, it will cover the bed. It is not a plant that I recommend to gardeners in my area.

Positive melangemerchant On Mar 29, 2006, melangemerchant from Adelaide
Australia (Zone 10a) wrote:

Houttuynia cordata is an important herb used in S.E. Asian cooking, particularly popular in Vietnam where it is used fresh in cold rolls, salads and other dishes. Rarely cooked it may be added chopped to a soup at the end of cooking. Should be grown in a container to prevent it becoming rampant. Propagation is easy by division or stem cuttings. Very worth while herb in my opinion.

Negative CastIronPlant22 On Dec 11, 2005, CastIronPlant22 from Lompoc, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

This one was also very invasive. I like the other one better, this one has no color to it.

Neutral raptorannie On Aug 1, 2005, raptorannie from Gastonia, NC wrote:

although this plant is beautifully variegated and has a sweet flower, and a citrusy smell, it is worse than mint as far as being invasive. be careful where you plant it - it will take over everything! i have just pulled up about a 3' X 10' area where it killed my black eyed susans and a hosta. it even grew under my deck! it has running tubers underground, so it is no easy task to get it all pulled up, and "round up" doesn't even kill it all. a great plant in a confined area or as a total groundcover - just be sure you want it where you plant it!

Positive ladyannne On Sep 4, 2004, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a lovely, cheerful slow growing ground cover that grows in shade and requires little to no care. Reportedly, it can be aggressive when grown in wet full sun.

We had to remove all the Houttuynia due to a broken water pipe. I carefully removed and replaced all of it, taking as much of it in soil as possible, hoping to do little damage. Instead, when I replaced it, it went bonkers for the first time in six years. Now I have hope this will one day cover an entire shaded area.

Florence, Alabama