Plectranthus
Plectranthus argentatus 'Silver Shield'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Plectranthus (plek-TRAN-thus) (Info)
Species: argentatus (ar-jen-TAY-tus) (Info)
Cultivar: Silver Shield

Silver/Gray

Blue-Violet

This plant is resistant to deer

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

By simple layering

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Claremont, California

Averill Park, New York

Marysville, Ohio

Mercer, Pennsylvania

On Sep 13, 2014, nhrunner from Francestown, NH wrote:

This is by far my favorite annual for silver-ish foliage. I planted 3 small plants at the beginning of the season in sun/part shade at the back of a border. It is now about 3' in full flower. Absolutely zero maintenance and looks wonderful. So hoping I find it again next year in my local nursery.

On Aug 25, 2010, smartseeds from Claremont, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

'Silver Shield' does just fine here in zone 9, though it sure lets you know when it needs water. (Flat on the ground!). It's planted next to the succulent garden (which needs water, too) in partial sun and is a little TOO successful. Since I'm not attached to it, it seems like this big silver lump I have to keep tending to.

This is a terrific plant for people who like gray in their garden. It's really low maintenance, recovers from abuse, thrives on being whacked back, would make a good feature plant or background for greener things to show them off.

My neutral rating is strictly personal. The plant is easy to care for and quite good looking. Perennial here in zone 9.

On May 21, 2010, tstefanick from Dewitt, MI wrote:

I purchased this plant at "Flowerday" in the Eastern Market of Detroit, MI. The seller didn't know what it was but I did. They told me it would trail and would be good for hanging baskets. Is that true? From what I've read here, it seems to be more bushy than trailing. Any comments would be helpful.

On Feb 21, 2008, CarynDalton from Marysville, OH wrote:

This is by far my favorite silver plant to compliment in my garden. I grew it from seed last year (germinated both in baggies and in seed trays under lights) with no damping off or other problems. Pinched a few when planting out to encourage bushiness. The seed pack said full sun so I put three in the sunniest spot I had which range from 3-4 hours of indirect sun per day in a raised bed about 6 inches of enriched soil with nasty red clay underneath. I watered only when I had to which was about twice per month. The other three (I couldn't bear to throw away seedlings) I planted in bright light no direct sun, close to the same type of soil sitatuation. The ones that I planted with the most sun got big. They were beautiful with a dense wide and round multi-stemmed habit from the center... read more

On Oct 27, 2007, Sashagirl from Davenport, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I was gifted with a tiny seedling, from another gardening friend, this spring.
In my zone 5a garden, this is an Annual. I potted it in a 10 " pot, in MG container Mix, so I could experiment with this heretofore unknown plant (to me).

It seemed happiest on the west side of my house, getting full sun, from 11a.m. till dusk, and watering every other day. It grew to a 3ftX3ft shrub size, with many bloom stalks starting in late Aug/early September.

It appears to have lots of tiny seed pods, now, so I have collected them and will try my luck with drying and planting some next spring.
The foliage is nice, plant is well behaved-but it's no "Star of the Show" on it's own. I think it's prettiest at dusk and dawn, where the leaves really do cast a silvery g... read more

On Sep 28, 2007, macybee from Deer Park, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Plant in mosit, well-drained soil in part shade. Protect from frost and prolonged dry conditions. Propagate by seed or cuttings or by layering. Many species are spreading and will self-layer.
This Australian species is a spreading shrub up to 3' high. Its branches and leaves are covered with short silver hairs. The leaves are 2-4" long, oval with finelly toothed edges. Its flowers are blue and white, in 9- to 11-flowered spikes that are12" long.
Zones 10-11