Haworthia
Haworthia reinwardtii var. zebrina

Family: Aloaceae
Genus: Haworthia (ha-WORTH-ee-a) (Info)
Species: reinwardtii var. zebrina

Cactus and Succulents

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Tucson, Arizona

Encino, California

Los Angeles, California

Andrews, Texas

positive

On Aug 25, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have/had about 30+ species of Hawarthia here in So Cal. Most do fine here even in the winter in the ground, where they get tons of water in the cold season. They do tend to prefer not being in full sun, but some do fine in full sun. This species is one of the few that seem to have no trouble being grown in hot sun. Most Hawarthias have a more succulent, clearish tender foliage but this species is built more like an aloe with tough, ribbed skin. In the summer, in the ground, and even in pots, these Hawarthias don't mind being watered every few days. It's hard to rot them in well draining soil if the weather is really hot. But if you forget to water them for a long time, they are very forgiving. For me they tend to get lost in a xeriscape garden, so I keep them in pots where they c... read more

On Aug 25, 2003, nipajo from Dallas, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have several haworthia's. The problem is that i do not know all of their names. however I water once a month. They sit in little plastic containers that I pour water into. They are very easy to propagate, just pull from mother plant and stick in soil and you have yourself another plant. I have them in the south window and they are doing fine. If they get to much sun they turn a brownish green and start wilting.

On Nov 27, 2001, tiredwabbit from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

Most succulents do not need to be watered like you average houseplant. If you water or over water these succulents to much the will most likely wind up with root rot. So be very careful not to let them sit in any excess water and do not water again until dry!