PlantFiles: Sweet corn
Zea mays var. rugosa 'Kandy King'

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zea (ZEE-uh) (Info)
Species: mays var. rugosa
Cultivar: Kandy King

Vegetables

Hybrid

71 to 80 days

Kernel Color:
Yellow

Positive tgwWhale On Jan 15, 2011, tgwWhale from Casco, WI wrote:

This is my all-time favorite variety of sweet corn. It produces decently large ears for an early corn, and as it is an "se" hybrid, the corn is nice and sweet. As normal for an "se" corn, it has a creamy texture rather than crunchy.

But the reason I have so liked this corn is that it (as advertised) has "good cool soil emergence." My garden is 20 miles east of Green Bay, WI, less than 10 miles from Lake Michigan, and sometimes May can be uncomfortably cold (when the wind sets up in the east, off the lake, and stays there). More than once the Kandy King in my garden grew well -- nearly every seed germinating -- while my neighbor's corn, which shares the same garden, emerged poorly and she had to replant,

Like corn in general, it grows better when you give it a shot or two of Miracle Grow or equivalent fertilizer early during the growing season.

Unfortunately, my standard seed source (Jung) no longer carries this variety, so last year I had to try other varieties. The other varieties grew well, but last summer we did not have a cold May. If they brought back Kandy King, I would go back to buying it because I trust its cold soil emergence.

Neutral Farmerdill On Sep 6, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 73 day se yellow hybrid from Syngenta (Rogers). Ears are 8.5 inches with 16 -18 rows.