Indian Pea, Blue Sweetpea, Chickling Pea, Grass Pea 'Azureus'

Lathyrus sativus

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lathyrus (LAY-thy-russ) (Info)
Species: sativus (sa-TEE-vus) (Info)
Cultivar: Azureus
Synonym:Lathyrus sativus var. azureus

Not Applicable

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Medium Blue

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

Scarify seed before sowing

Los Angeles, California

Richmond, California

Provincetown, Massachusetts

On Jan 19, 2015, sladeofsky from Louisville, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Pretty, but not showy. Better as a filler in the flower garden, or leaning against a Clematis or Rose. It can also be used to spill out of large containers and window boxes. Also, I think this plant needs to be grown near the path or patio as you really need to get close to fully appreciate it. It is among the bluest of flowers. Unlike Sweet Peas (odorata) it takes heat well. A small clarification,: "Azureus" is not a cultivar; rather, it is a natural variation of bloom color.

On Mar 5, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Commonly grown in China and India as a grazing crop for animals, where over 4 million acres are in cultivation. Toxic, like all other sweet peas, but researchers are working to develop strains that will be edible for humans in drought-striken countries. This one is rarely offered. Does well even in the heat of summer. Annual, low-growing 1-2' plants.

On Jun 6, 2006, blackbunny from Provincetown, MA wrote:

The expensive seed packet declared "a profusion blue blossoms" on this sweet pea relative. In my Cape Cod garden I have been able to grow this pleasant legume with enough blooms to entertain me, but I think "Profuse" is overstating its virtues. It has left me with enough seed pods to replant, which I have done, as it's pretty enough and harmless. I've decided that it's worth sticking seeds in my herb patch here and there to meander and blossom, and possibly improve the soil, but I'm not terribly impressed with it otherwise.