Bee Balm, Beebalm, Bergamot, Firecracker Plant, Horsemint, Mountain Mint, Oswego Tea 'Panorama Mix'

Monarda didyma

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Monarda (mo-NAR-da) (Info)
Species: didyma (DID-ee-muh) (Info)
Cultivar: Panorama Mix

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

Round Rock, Texas

positive

On Jun 3, 2016, LanfrancoLeo from Harrisburg, PA wrote:

I grown this plant from seeds 4 years ago. True perennial ,coming year after year, and as typical perennial it bloomed for the first time during its second year of life. In my yard It is located in a border with full sun position. Here in central south of PA, the rain is enough to keep it very well hydrated and after the first year I never worried about watering nor stalking. It bloom profusely in mid June and for 2-3 weeks. Very good pollinator plants, very beloved by bumblebee,that`s why I keep this plant in the garden. Some years it can get powdery mildew, especially in a very crowed situation and in very humid-hot summer. In my experience it never compromised the abundance of the bloom nor its display the year after. A must have in a pollinator friendly garden. Some people complain abo... read more

On Jul 7, 2010, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I planted a small (4") pot of this a couple of years ago. I gave away big bunches to 3 friends this year and still have a good stand left in my garden. This variety does get a good 48" tall, or perhaps even more. It requires support, and it also requires vigilant watering. It tends to get somewhat bare at the bottom. All that being said, it provides a nice vertical shape and flowers well. I gave this a neutral rating only because I also have Petite Delight which is more contained and only requires watering, like all bee balm.

On Oct 27, 2006, greenkat from Crofton, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

I planted a packet of "Panorama Mix" seeds in early summer. Probably the wrong time. Most of the seedlings died during a week of unusually hot weather. By Oct. I had one little plant that was still doing ok in its 6" pot. I brought it inside thinking I'll transplant outdoors next spring, but now it has a bad case of powdery mildew. I love the blooms on Monarda and will try to grow it again next year.

On May 16, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Winter sowed this variety and germination was excellent. Produces feathery flower heads in shades of pink, salmon, and crimson.