PlantFiles: Dwarf Peach
Prunus persica 'Bonfire'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Prunus (PROO-nus) (Info)
Species: persica (PER-see-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Bonfire

Thumbnail #6 of Prunus persica by efbiosis

By diggo1
Thumbnail #7 of Prunus persica by diggo1

Positive Themomma On May 20, 2014, Themomma from Alamogordo, NM wrote:

I have one of these beautiful little trees. She is producing peaches now. The second year I was going to let her produce. Last year's late hard freeze killed off the blossoms. This year I have several small nice looking peaches on it. Between the spring desert winds, hot sun, watering two times a week she is looking great. I've read before that this is JUST an ornamental tree, well I think mine is proving otherwise. They can be a producing ornament. I planted this tree because I can't climb a ladder to get to the full size tree fruits. I love the hardiness of this tree also. In 4 yrs it's survived a blizzard, extreme drought, extreme heat and cold, a late freeze, and my clumsy attendance. If she can survive that and still be healthy and produce a fruit I love she has my vote.

Positive waterpolocat On May 27, 2013, waterpolocat from Lawrence, KS wrote:

Love this little tree. Have had it for four years, surviving the last two extremely dry summers in Kansas. It stands on a corner of the house that gets brisk winds and has done exceptional!!! The blossoms are plentiful and beautiful. Produces tons of peaches but I usually pick them off.

Positive Greenthumbguy72 On Apr 19, 2013, Greenthumbguy72 from Smithton, MO (Zone 5b) wrote:

Fantastic ornamental for early, profuse spring color. Just bought one last fall for next to nothing just to give it a try. I couldn't be happier with its preformance this spring. Every stem is absolutely covered along the entire length with flowers and has been now for about two weeks. Can't wait to get another one.

Positive bgp1 On Nov 26, 2009, bgp1 from Tecumseh, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

This tree grows extremely well in my yard. I bought it from a mail-order catalog and they told me it would grow 5 feet tall in 5 years. I have had it a little over a year and it grew 5 feet in the first year. The tree it planted in the front yard in a garden where it receives about 6 hours of full sun and then filtered sun.

The flowers are a whitish color and the leaves are a purple-green, turning a yellow-orange in the fall. The leaves seem to persist longer on the tree than most other trees in my yard. The deer tend to avoid this tree. Average watering needs. I have never had it over watered nor under watered. Pretty care-free and maintenance free. I have lightly pruned the tree to remove some branches which were a little too low.

Positive natrgrl On Jul 16, 2007, natrgrl from Abita Springs, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

La.(zone 8b)

I too have this wonderful little tree. It seems to be quite easy to take care of. I have mine planted in a large planter and it seems to require little water. The hang tag on this tree says that the fruit will ripen about mid august and gave a recipe for peach tarts. However the 8-10 peaches I have on it do not seem to be growing and I have read on several different searches that these trees are only ornamental. Even if that is so, they are still very beautiful trees that are beneficial to bees, birds, and butterflies.

For those of you looking for a dwarf size peach tree that produces beautiful delicious peaches I suggest trying the dwarf southern rose. You won't be disapointed. It reaches a height of about 5ft by 3-4ft. wide and has long slender weeping leaves that are bright green. In spring the whole tree is covered in small pink flowers and is quite spectacular.

I hope this info will be helpful. I wanted to send a D-mail to Joan but figured it would be helpful to others as well. So Joan I hope you see this and find it useful.

Positive jestelleoan On Apr 9, 2005, jestelleoan from Tyler, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have a wonderful little tree. It is beautiful all year long. I have a small tree that came up from it and I put it in a pot for now. I had peaches last year but they just shrivelled up. Please tell me how to treat the tree so it will produce peaches this year. Thank you, Joan

Positive blckwolf256 On Apr 8, 2005, blckwolf256 from Springville, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have 2 .They are fantastic trees. BEAUTIFUL blooms in the spring, followed by purple leaves until fall. Everyone who has seen them have gone crazy over them.
One drops seeds that will sprout. The other throws suckers with green leaves, and never throws seedlings. It has fruit, but never produces seedlings.

Springville, Alabama