PlantFiles: Korean Maple
Acer pseudosieboldianum

Family: Sapindaceae (sap-in-DAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Acer (AY-ser) (Info)
Species: pseudosieboldianum (soo-do-see-bold-ee-AH-num) (Info)

Inconspicuous/none

By jhayes5032
Thumbnail #6 of Acer pseudosieboldianum by jhayes5032

By PeachyOne
Thumbnail #7 of Acer pseudosieboldianum by PeachyOne

Positive Carnival_Mary On May 24, 2011, Carnival_Mary from Libertyville, IL wrote:

My Korean Maple is on the northside of our heavily wooded lot, so it should be considered as understory. We purchased locally, and planted it 3 years ago (Fall 2007?), and it actually sits in an area that has some standing water in the Spring and seasonally with thaws. It's growing marvelously! Vibrant, positively glowing orange/red in the Fall, and growing at about 12-18" annually. I love it and couldn't be more pleased with this choice!

Positive Rumplefrogskin On Apr 29, 2011, Rumplefrogskin from Sayner, WI wrote:

I bought this at a local garden center, also on 'Half-Off Sale'. Despite having moved it once already in the three years I've had it for better siting, it has done very well and been hardy in Vilas County( far Northern Wisconsin), approximately a 3b zone.

It doesn't have any trouble with winter, and the spring foliage is especially nice -- but -- it does brown around the edges in the summer and also has dull yellowish Fall colour rather than the beautiful oranges that other people report.

There is an automatic watering system so it's not getting dried out, I can only surmise that the crisping of the leaves is due to too much sun and may have to move it yet again to a shadier location. :- /

Positive atcps On May 6, 2010, atcps from WOODLAWN, TN wrote:

I've been growing this small tree as an understory tree on the west side of my property for two years. I bought it at the Shadow Nursery due to its similarity to the Japanese maples and cool Latin name. It has consistently shown excellent orange fall color and great color on the new growth-edges tinged pink and fading green to lime green. It is not picky about anything but is a fairly slow grower. It has grown about one foot per year but may pick up as it gets more established.

Neutral vtgardener2 On May 2, 2010, vtgardener2 from Brattleboro, VT wrote:

I have had my Korean maple for at least 3 years. It's doing well (I'm in Zone 5a), but disappointingly, it has never shown any fall color! The leaves are only a very dull yellowish brown. Has anyone had any experience with this? (It's the older species, not the newer Take.)

Positive Davidsan On Oct 27, 2009, Davidsan from Springfield, IL (Zone 6a) wrote:

Be aware there are art least two subspecies of this... the SSP. Takesemensis and the SSP Pseudosieboldiannum .. Only the second is reliably hardy .. I have the Take in testing phase. . So anyone who buys the newer and in fact much prettier but not reliably hardy Take ... you should NOT depend on it being hardy for very northern areas

Positive prairiefaerie On Oct 7, 2009, prairiefaerie from Champaign, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Just bought this little tree on a whim (that and it was marked 50% off!) and we LOVE it. The gorgeously shaped leaves, and the vibrant fall colors rival our Full Moon Fern-leaf Japanese Maple (which we also love). Considering it is zone 4, it *should* winter well ... and how it handles a hot, dry central Illinois summer, we have yet to see. I guess will be updating again, next fall!

Positive Northernlights2 On Apr 5, 2009, Northernlights2 from Cottage Grove, MN wrote:

I happened on an overgrown shrub of this 3 years ago (3 feet tall). Left it alone for the first year then the last 2 years pruned it to be a tree form. It's now almost 10' tall. I read about protecting it from the bitter winter winds here in Minnesota and also the scorching setting sun. It's tucked in an alcove in the front yard protected from the south by the garage and the house to the west. Seems to love it there. The color in the fall is outstanding (orange to redish-orange) and in the summer the leaves look velvety.

Neutral ohjammer On Jul 16, 2006, ohjammer from Angel Fire, NM (Zone 4b) wrote:

Positive on the plant, neutral on Dave's plantfile.

The plantfile repeated what I knew from Horticulture Magazine. However, besides grafting, Acer pseudosieboldianum can also be raised from seeds. I've purchased 25 grams for 30 euros from B&T World Seeds. I came to Dave's to try and determine if they needed cold stratification, scarification, or anything else esoteric.

Editor's Note:

Our free Seed Germination forum is just the place for specific germination questions: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/germination/all/
Positive 58599 On May 10, 2005, 58599 from Elcho, WI (Zone 4a) wrote:

OK ! You have sold me on a Korean Maple, I live in Northern,WI and have taken my Japanese Maples from Chicago with me when I moved and they are just barely hanging on.

Positive PerryPost On Mar 28, 2005, PerryPost from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

I agree with Mike and Todd. Great little tree. The ones I've worked with seem to be slow growing and tend to have alot if tip dieback in the heart of Minneapolis.

The color and form, however, is awesome. Should definately be planted more frequently.

Have found two seedlings while working around two trees... doesn't seem like there is a threat of invasiveness.

Positive treelover3 On Nov 3, 2004, treelover3 from Minneapolis, MN (Zone 5a) wrote:

I would recommend this tree to anyone who longs for that elusive, hardy, Japanese Maple. This Japanese maple look-alike will fill that barren spot that has been sitting empty, waiting for a hardy Japanese maple cultivar to be introduced on to the market.

This tree has done very well growing on the northern edge of USDA zone 4a (-20F to -30F). The fall color has been outstanding and the leaves have stayed, in color, on the tree for at least two weeks so far. The color has become much redder as time has gone by.

And if the fall color isn't enough, the new foliage in the spring has a red tinge to the edges of the foliage.

This tree should be more widely grown, IMHO.
Mike

Positive Todd_Boland On Sep 12, 2004, Todd_Boland from St. John's, NL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Korean Maple is a wonderful substitute to a Japanese Maple for those who live in zone 4. Foliage is very similar to a Japanese Maple but is only green. In the autumn, however, foliage turns pumpkin orange! Spectacular!

Dublin, California
Champaign, Illinois
Collinsville, Illinois
Libertyville, Illinois
Brighton, Massachusetts
Salem, Massachusetts
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
Minneapolis, Minnesota (2 reports)
Rochester, New York