PlantFiles: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow
Brunfelsia grandiflora

Genus: Brunfelsia (brun-FELZ-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: grandiflora (gran-dih-FLOR-uh) (Info)

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Violet/Lavender

Late Fall/Early Winter
Mid Winter

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

By Monocromatico

Thumbnail #3 of Brunfelsia grandiflora by cactus_lover

By birdstalker
Thumbnail #4 of Brunfelsia grandiflora by birdstalker

Negative troplady On Aug 6, 2012, troplady from Kahului, HI wrote:

Because I love the blooms on this plant I planted 2. The plants are healthy and growing butwon't bloom. Our soil is sandy ( Hawaii). they have been in the ground about 8 months. I have seen them bloom here at a higher elevation and no sandy soil. Anyone know a fertilizer I could use or some way to encourage them to bloom?

Positive birdstalker On Jan 9, 2010, birdstalker from Hobe Sound, FL wrote:

LOVE the tricolored blooms. Have not noticed a significant scent; however, it is planted near the street where our neighbors benefit the most. Looks lovely against the yellow back drop of our house. Our YTT is a small tree form, which works nicely to screen the garage windows.

It does beautifully in the shady northern exposure. Fast grower. This year it seemed to pop blooms all at once on Thanksgiving day. The leaves go through a transition during the summer, but it rewards us with blooms all winter ~ a real treat.

Positive eileenelder On Apr 9, 2005, eileenelder from Seffner, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

This plant reseeds itself. When I purchased my home I had two huge 13+ foot shrubs. I now have these growing amongst all of my shrubs. I finally today started removing some, it broke my heart - I LOVE this shrub. The flowers are beautiful, the smell wafts around my house all day.

I have just started new plants from cutting the new stem growth and sticking them into soil and watering. It does takes sometime (weeks) for the roots to take. I have also started several in small pots to share with family. I also planted seeds - I opened dried seed pods. I will watch these carefully, but they will take about 3 months.

Positive Jamespayne On Oct 6, 2004, Jamespayne from Sebring, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I purchased a Brunfelsia grandiflora early last Spring 2004, and now in the Fall of 2004 it has grown 4 times it's size, reaching a height of over 4 feet and still putting out new growth. It was in bloom when I purchased the plant, and I can not wait to see the flowers change on this plant now that is is much larger. It survived 3 major hurricanes with little damage!

Positive Monocromatico On Sep 12, 2004, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

South American shrub, very similar to other Brunfelsias, just the flowers being significantly bigger, plus some minor foliar characteristics.

The flowers on this species are not so abundant as in other Yesterday-today-and-tomorrows, but like them, they show up mainly on winter. They open featuring a lavender color with a white gut, turning white with a brown gut in the second day. The first day flowers are very aromatic.

Grenoble,
Clovis, California
Larkspur, California
Napa, California
Brooksville, Florida
Hobe Sound, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)
Niceville, Florida
Port Charlotte, Florida
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Sebring, Florida
Seffner, Florida
Tampa, Florida (3 reports)
Webster, Florida