Shaving Brush Tree

Pseudobombax longiflorum

Family: Bombacaceae
Genus: Pseudobombax (soo-doh-BOM-baks) (Info)
Species: longiflorum (lon-jee-FLO-rum) (Info)

Pollen may cause allergic reaction

Late Fall/Early Winter

From hardwood cuttings

Captiva, Florida

Lakeland, Florida

Corpus Christi, Texas

On May 27, 2012, popper1 from Lakeland, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Flowers are amazing but short lived. Watching the buds grow can be interesting too. Can get a large caudex at the base.

On Jan 18, 2008, sldel702 from Corpus Christi, TX wrote:

I purchased this tree at an auction and it took 6 years to identify it. I did not know it was a tree. I accidentally sprayed it with round-up one spring. I saturated it from top to bottom. The solution was in the wrong bottle in case you think I wanted to kill him. We realized the mistake about 2 days later so my husband chopped it to the ground. It came back bigger and with many more branches, so we routinely cut it back each spring until I found out it was a tree. It loses all of it's leaves when the flower pods start to develop 2-3 times a year. This tree grew 6-10 feet per year depending on whether or not it was cut back. Growth in height slowed significantly when allowed to reach about 15 ft. and we no longer cut it back. It tolerates the rare light freezes and even rarer snow here. I... read more

On Sep 12, 2004, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

Short (up to 4 meters tall, often less), relatively slow grower, desciduous tree from the brazilian coastal areas.

It has palmate composite, fuzzy, papery leaves that drop as the floral buds develop, on autumn. The flowers open at night, and stay up for the next day, though not as beautiful as it is at night The petals are pure white, and curled bacwards. The stamens are abundant, and very long, white too. Bats and hawkmoths visit this flower at night after nectar, atracted by its size and smell.

This tree lives on poor, sandy soil, and needs regular watering (specially on summer, then the watering frequency may drop a bit to estimulate the flowering), full sun and high temperatures.
Its short size and atractive flowers make this species a qu... read more