PlantFiles: Morning Glory, Grannyvine
Ipomoea tricolor

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ipomoea (ip-oh-MEE-a) (Info)
Species: tricolor (TRY-kull-lur) (Info)

Not Applicable

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Pale Pink
Dark Blue
Blue-Violet
Violet/Lavender
Purple

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel
Scarify seed before sowing

By Sheila965
Thumbnail #1 of Ipomoea tricolor by Sheila965

By RON_CONVOLVULACEAE
Thumbnail #2 of Ipomoea tricolor by RON_CONVOLVULACEAE

Positive gardener2005 On Mar 3, 2009, gardener2005 from Baton Rouge area, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant does not make root runners and it is a annual. It can reseed itself but in my climate ipomoea tri color never has reseeded with near the numbers and annoyance level of the ipomoea purpurea. ipomea tri color will not reseed if you remove the spent vines before the pods ripen in late fall.

Positive LeatherZebra On Jul 2, 2005, LeatherZebra from Louisville, KY wrote:

I love the look of the flowers and the foliage of morning glories. They grow wild all over the place here, proving that they are invasive. So I grow them up the sides of my porch. It's a natural choice for me because in the fall instead of paying for new plants or seeds every year the kids and I just go around the neighborhood and pick pods. We get purple and deep, magenta pink ones here. Last summer I found some that were white with pink stripes coming from the center. While they are invasive it is beautiful to pass by a abandoned house and see the yard as mounds of morning glories rather than weeds.

Neutral RON_CONVOLVULACEAE On Jan 29, 2005, RON_CONVOLVULACEAE from Netcong, NJ (Zone 5b) wrote:

Ipomoea tricolor is a tropical to semi-tropical species that is grown as an annual and is not invasive in the north,as the seeds do not survive the repeated freezings and rethaws of the northerly zones autumnal and springtime weather conditions...;Cultivars of Ipomoea tricolor include Heavenly Blue,Pearly Gates,Blue Star,Flying Saucers,Wedding Bells and Summer Skies.
Please see the listings for the cultivars mentioned for further information regarding accurate pictures and growing conditions.
Additionally, This general entry for 'Grannyvine' is redundant in view of the separate entries for the cultivars of Ipomoea tricolor,unless someone wants to enter 'wild' Ipomoea tricolor,that allows adequate visualization of the key parts(most importantly the sepals) so a realistic identification may be enabled..

Positive samijo02 On May 24, 2004, samijo02 from Rose Creek, MN wrote:

I love this plant except when it grows everywhere. One day I was doing a report for school and I chose a Morning glory and I'm glad because there so pretty.

Neutral DavidPat5 On Aug 30, 2003, DavidPat5 from Chicago, IL wrote:

As soon as I see mine starting to seed, (they seed where the blooms were) I cut it at the base and let it die. Though I do lose some bloom time, it's better than letting them seed all over. Or you can let a few seed, save them for next year and then cut it back.

Negative palmbob On Aug 13, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

When I first saw this plant, I loved it... great looking floewrs! But after planting it in my tropical garden, I hate it with a passion. I have spent more hours weeding this one plant than all other activities combined. It covers literally everything, including my 40 Ash tree... Yikes. Hard weed to pull up, and impervious to Round up. It sends roots down every few inches as it travels along the ground, and the seeds sprout everywhere. AUGH!

Neutral Petsitterbarb On May 25, 2003, Petsitterbarb from Claremore, OK wrote:

I LOVE this vine when it's under control! Unfortunately, I planted too many on my mailbox and on the ranch rail fencing last year, and it was a VERY time consuming task removing all the dead vines later! It also completely smothered my climbing roses and clematis. Since they reseed, I've got little seedlings popping up everywhere this year, and I'm pulling them like weeds!

I knew this plant was on the poison plant list for the ASPCA, so I added this fact to the Database information.

Neutral jend66 On Apr 10, 2002, jend66 wrote:

This plant is very invasive! It is self-sowing.

El Sobrante, California