Globe Willow, Navajo
Salix globosa

Family: Salicaceae (sal-i-KAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Salix (SAL-iks) (Info)
Species: globosa (glo-BOH-suh) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Trenton, Texas

Riverton, Utah

negative

On Mar 28, 2010, stephy48 from Huron, SD wrote:

Bought this tree at Wal-Mart in Spearfish, South Dakota,in May of 2003, it was about 3-3 1/2 ft, planted it in our backyard, it is seven years later and it is a beautiful shade tree approximately 20 ft x 20 ft. We have had no problems with it to date. It gets very cold here in the winter with sub zero temps. I took three cuttings today 03/29/2010 and will root them as I want another and we have never seen them again in any nursery here in South Dakota since purchasing the first one.

On Jan 4, 2006, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

I appreciate their fun shape; they are giant glorious lime green puffballs in the spring. They can tap water tables for moisture, thrive in high alkaline and even salty soils, and easily weather extreme dry heat.

These were very popular trees in my area about twenty to ten years ago. (probably making up at least 75% of the new plantings) The appeal is that they are tough, grow very fast and have a desirable shape. They are, unfortunately short-lived; disease takes its toll often, branches are simply too weak. They use a great deal of water, making them not only near impossible to grow healthy turf under, but not a great tree for places where water is scarce. They get worse: Anyone who owns one will tell you that the leaves shed are amazingly numerous, dropped thoughout ... read more

On Sep 13, 2004, tnvol91 from Lowell, AR wrote:

We have several of these trees planted along our fence in the backyard. These are beautiful trees that grow quickly and have a nice round shape. I have read alot about this tree and discovered it is prone to a disease called "frothy flux". Although I have not seen anything wrong with our trees, I will update this posting if anything occurs. Frothy Flux disease occurs as a result of a wound in the outer covering, causing a fermentation of the plant tissue. Be careful when mowing around these trees and using weed wackers. This can cause an injury to the cambium of the tree where the fermentation of the inner sapwood layers can occur. Frothy Flux can kill a Globe Willow quickly. Can anyone tell me what the brown spots are on the leaves of the picture I uploaded?