Cutting Celery, Leaf Celery, Smallage
Apium graveolens var. secalinum 'Afina'

Family: Apiaceae (ay-pee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Apium (AY-pee-um) (Info)
Species: graveolens var. secalinum

West Milford, New Jersey

Norristown, Pennsylvania

Madison, Wisconsin

On May 7, 2009, love0gardening from West Milford, NJ (Zone 6a) wrote:

I planted this along a south facing wall in zone 5 and it came back again the next year even though it is a tender perennial. This is a great addition to the garden. You cut it down (its like a baby celery but stronger taste) and it grows back from the center. It's actually quite pretty and I would use it as a border plant. It is not bothered by slugs and didn't seem popular amoung the bugs, but I loved it. Great in salads, soups & stews.

On Apr 14, 2009, Wulfsden from Riverdale, NJ (Zone 6a) wrote:

Two years ago, I got 3 cutting celery plants from a friend's organic farm after it "volunteered". I had no idea how to grow them so I planted these in 3 - 8.5 inch half-height pots and grew it in semi-shade. They grew okay and I cut them regularly for my pet rabbits and for our use. I found it a bit strong and stringy for salads but it is superb for flavoring soups and stews. The bunnies gave it two paws up (their highest rating).

As summer progressed I stopped cutting one stalk from each plant. This stalk grew to almost 3 feet high. Large clusters of tiny white flowers formed at the top and at the nodes on the stem. These were a bit like baby's breath. In time the flowers formed clusters of tiny (and I do mean tiny), dark-brown seeds which I allowed to dry. I picked the clu... read more

On Mar 7, 2007, sycrasy from Atlanta, GA wrote:

I have several plants that have lived for more than three years in my community garden plot. Leaves are lustrous and dark green with generous feeding, and the plants are indestructible.
I cut back to the ground every few months to get tender new leaves. A great addition to the edible landscape; looks good year-round, zero pest or disease problems.
A couple stems in your stew negates the need for buying celery when you only need two stalks. Not good in cold salads; fibrous rather than juicy. I put whole stalks in my soups and then remove before serving.

On Dec 12, 2004, rebecca101 from Madison, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I've been really happy with this cutting celery. It's very easy to grow compared to regular celery, and the flavor is much more intense, fragrant and "herby." It's not stringy or watery at all like conventional commercial celery. Cutting celery is the type that is used in Europe. It's a darker green, with thin, flexible stalks and lots of leaves. It looks similar to parsley, although not quite as dark and with a different leaf shape. It takes a little while to germinate and grows somewhat slowly, but once you get it going you can keep cutting from the same small patch all season. A couple square feet is plenty for a small family. Use it like an herb. Super addition to soups, pies, and stuffings.