PlantFiles: Bull's Horn Chile Pepper, Cowhorn Pepper
Capsicum annuum 'Corno Di Toro'

Genus: Capsicum (KAP-sih-kum) (Info)
Species: annuum (AN-yoo-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Corno Di Toro
Additional cultivar information: (aka Corno di Toro Rosso)

» View all varieties of Peppers

Heat (Pungency):
Sweet (0 Scoville Units)
Mild (1 to 1,000 Scoville Units)

Fruit Shape:
Tapered
Oblong

Fruit Size:
Large (more than 6" in length)

Fruit Color:

Thumbnail #5 of Capsicum annuum by geedavedee

By geedavedee
Thumbnail #6 of Capsicum annuum by geedavedee

Positive Davejo903 On May 29, 2014, Davejo903 from Des Moines, IA wrote:

I love this pepper plant. Out of all the varieties of pepper plants that I have grown this is the easiest pepper plant by far. It had the highest germination rate, was the easiest to transplant, and then adapted to our Iowa spring/summer much better than any other type of pepper plant I have ever grown. To top it all off it has an incredibly high pollination rate and produces loads of peppers. I will be growing this pepper plant every year until I can garden no more.

Positive CApoppy On Oct 8, 2013, CApoppy from Santa Cruz Mountains, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Love this late-maturing, sweet beauty. Not sure what happened with the folks who commented on its heat. This is a delicious mild pepper that I char under the broiler or on the grill, peel, and use in many ways. I will definitely grow it again.

Neutral foose4string On Mar 7, 2012, foose4string from EARLEVILLE, MD (Zone 7b) wrote:

Wish I could comment on the fruit but I could never get any seeds to germinate. Tried twice with the same seed pack, and once with another seed pack that had a different lot number. A total of three times! I had about half a dozen other pepper varieties in the same tray and they all sprouted. I have started many types of pepper and tomato seeds over the years, but this one is stubborn!

Positive crittergetter On Sep 25, 2011, crittergetter from Angwin, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Ours were scorchers too... definitely hotter than a jalapeno. We roasted them and made a delicious hot sauce! Wanted the sweet version but still pleased with the results

Positive iceman8147 On Aug 29, 2011, iceman8147 from Jacksonville Beach, FL wrote:

Very productive...on my 4th crop of the season...nice looking pepper

Neutral austintomato On Feb 27, 2011, austintomato from Austin, TX wrote:

Hot Pepper Seed Mix-Up
I ordered these from Renee's last year 2010 and planted them out for the spring season. I was so excited to finally try them but they were hot and small. Weird. Later I got a letter from Renee's explaining the seeds had been mixed up with Thai Duo Spicy and they gave me a replacement pack of correct Corno di Toro which I am now growing for 2011. Hopefully they'll be great!

Positive geedavedee On Jul 26, 2010, geedavedee from Batavia, NY wrote:

Extremely hot even when picked green. I found it better to de-seed them and roast on the grill in order to be able to eat them on my Hamburgers.

Neutral Compostwoman On Jan 16, 2010, Compostwoman from Des Moines, IA wrote:

I grew this variety for the first time last year. It was late maturing, but produced a large number of beautiful, meaty peppers. After frying the first few I harvested, I removed the seeds from one, tilted my head upwards and dropped the beautiful thing into my mouth. I thought I might have to call the fire department! My mouth and lips burned for 45 minutes. This was NOT a sweet pepper! Perhaps the seeds I purchased had been cross pollinated with a hot pepper, but these peppers were hotter than the jalapenos I grew. My sweet and hot peppers are planted on opposite sides of my house to avoid cross pollination. Since all five Corno di Toro plants produced hot peppers, and since none of the other 6 varieties of sweet peppers had any heat, I don't think this happened in my garden. I'll plant it again, but not as a sweet pepper.

Positive riceke On Mar 23, 2005, riceke from Snellville, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Planted Corno Di Toro several seasons. It did mature late, toward the end of the season. Initial fruits were 4-5" long x 2" wide. Later fruits were smaller. Red. Mild spice. Very productive, plant size arouind 24~30 inches. No pests.

Positive critterologist On Mar 18, 2005, critterologist from Frederick, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

This plant wasn't as productive as I would have liked, and I think the days to maturity might be longer than indicated in the above description (more like 80 or 90 for me, although I don't have an exact record). However, the fruity flavor and sweetness of this large pepper was just outstanding! Like some of the big heirloom tomatoes, the quality of the fruit you get makes up for the lower productivity and longer ripening time.

They won't be the majority pepper in my garden, but I'll definitely save room for a couple of plants again this year.

Positive melody On Jan 22, 2005, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

A really great pepper. Prolific and tasty. The long peppers have just a touch of heat at the midribs, but it's just enough to make it a tasty treat. For a totally sweet pepper, just trim the mid ribs out...but, this pepper is hardly hot at all...even children could eat it.

Neutral Farmerdill On Oct 14, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Fruits turn a stunning red or brilliant yellow when ripe and have a long, curved, tapering, non-bell shape. Fruits are 6-10 inches long x 1 1/2 inches wide at shoulder." Open pollinated.

Angwin, California