PlantFiles: Sweet Pepper
Capsicum annuum 'Gypsy'

Genus: Capsicum (KAP-sih-kum) (Info)
Species: annuum (AN-yoo-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Gypsy
Hybridized by Seminis (Petoseed); Year of Registration or Introduction: 1980

» View all varieties of Peppers

Heat (Pungency):
Sweet (0 Scoville Units)

Fruit Shape:
Tapered

Fruit Size:
Small (under 2" in length)
Medium (4" to 6" in length)

Fruit Color:

Thumbnail #6 of Capsicum annuum by AnniesAnnuals

By gfetelya
Thumbnail #7 of Capsicum annuum by gfetelya

Positive Gep2013 On Jul 23, 2013, Gep2013 from Queen Creek, AZ wrote:

First year gardening! We planted in March. One of things I planted was the Gypsy Pepper. They started slow, think they were not getting enough water. So I upped that which caused the plant to grow in height immediately and did flower and fruit. Now, towards end of July, all 3 of my plants have peppers. 2 are SUPER RED and one is reddening and fewl more still green. Obviously it has been HOT. We have put a canopy over the garden until we find a more appropriate and permanent way of shading it. It does allow the garden to get the morning sunshine, but protects it from the scorching afternoon sun. I am confused in whether I should pick my peppers now, they are about 3 1/2 inches long, or wait for them to get larger. I've read any things they say these don't fruit if temps abo e 85'...well, that doesn't seem to be the case in my garden.

Positive IndianaBodeen On Aug 5, 2012, IndianaBodeen from Wheatfield, IN wrote:

Been a staple in the garden. Plant has survived our 100+ degree blasts this summer. Just watering with a seeper hose.

Not too sure about the 10-10-10- fertilizer, I would use lower Nitrogen.

Goes well in dipping salsa as well as in salads.

Positive strange2u On Aug 9, 2011, strange2u from Hinsdale, IL wrote:

This is my first year growing it. It seems to be a fairly tough plant, that can take less than ideal conditions.

Positive hikerpat On Jun 24, 2011, hikerpat from Knoxville, TN wrote:

I planted my Gypsy Pepper plant Memorial Day weekend. It's now June 24 and I picked the first pepper today. The cut stem smells as if the meat is spicy, but I have read it's a mild pepper. For it's size (approx. 2" across the top, 4" long), it's heavy, which means it's thick-walled. This baby is going in a salad really soon. I'm in Knoxville TN, and it made it through 2 weeks of mid to upper 90s and about 3" of rain in the last 2 days. I'd say this plant is a keeper.
When I prepared the planting hole, I dug it about a foot wide and deep. I added back in some native soil, topped with a small handful of 10-10-10 fertilizer, sprinkled over it some native soil, then added the plant, and back-filled with native soil. It was top fertilized twice since planting, with 10-10-10 and watered daily.

Positive gooley On Feb 15, 2009, gooley from Hawthorne, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Not a bell, but a conical sweet pepper going from pale green to yellow to intense orange to red, becoming sweeter all along. Hybrid, which will put off seed savers and raises the price of seed a bit, but remarkably tough and heavy-yielding, in my experience, even when too wet or too dry: many peppers stop yielding for me unless they're quite content with conditions, but this one comes through. I've come to prefer peppers with at least a little heat, but plan to grow this again for its reliability. The relatively small size and somewhat thin walls of the fruit are its only drawbacks.

Positive bubbylar On Dec 21, 2007, bubbylar from Newberg, OR wrote:

I purchased a small potted gypsy from a nursery late this summer. I left it in the pot for the remainder of the summer and fall. I did get a few 3"-4" peppers, that were quite sweet.

Positive critterologist On Mar 18, 2005, critterologist from Frederick, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

I've grown this variety for 2 years now, and I'm starting more plants this year. It's definitely a garden "staple" for me. It fruits prolifically, and the fairly compact size of the plant and pretty colors of the ripening peppers make this one a good choice to include in a mixed border.

This is not a bell shaped pepper, IMO. The fruits are conical, shorter & blocker than a banana pepper, but not at all bell shaped.

The peppers are sweetest when ripened to red and are very tasty. With thicker walls than a banana pepper, 'Gypsy' makes wonderful sweet pickled peppers and is great in stir-fries or fresh in salads.

Neutral Farmerdill On Oct 4, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Elongated fruits grow 4 1/2" long by 2 1/2" wide, start yellowish green and mature yellow to orange to red. (65 day).

Queen Creek, Arizona