Cantaloupe 'Minnesota Midget'

Cucumis melo

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucumis (KOO-koo-mis) (Info)
Species: melo (MEL-oh) (Info)
Cultivar: Minnesota Midget

Mehoopany, Pennsylvania

Bremerton, Washington

Manitowoc, Wisconsin

On Sep 7, 2015, WeezyG from Brainerd, MN wrote:

I got about 20 melons ranging in size from a small orange to a large grapefruit. They tasted like a cantaloupe without the sweetness so I didn't really care for them. They also didn't really seem to have much meat on them. I'm staying neutral on these because some people might love the taste, and they did produce a lot of melons. They just weren't for me.

On Aug 26, 2014, mulchwoman from Metuchen, NJ (Zone 6a) wrote:

Positive so far. Here in NJ we have had a rather cool, dry summer. Have one melon almost ready to pick and a couple of much smaller ones which I don't think will ripen before frost. One good melon would be great for the first time. Next year I will get them out a little earlier. Will let you know how it tastes in a week or so.

On Jun 30, 2013, pubbys from Manitowoc, WI wrote:

Raised them 2 years now in Manitowoc WI, on the shore of Lake "cooler by the lake" Michigan. Did terrifically well. Using my own seeds now. They are:
1. Very easy to grow.
2. Short-vined
3. fast growing
4. Sweet-fleshed

On the downside, I only got an average of 6 per plant. I am working on that and will report my results later. These are the only melons I will raise from this point onward. They are terrific! Am trying containers of them as well.

On Mar 28, 2013, NicoleC from Madison, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

Crops ripens nearly simultaneously and melons turn yellow and fall off the vine when ripe (about 90 days from direct seed). Milder and less sweet than store-bought "cantaloupe" but very flavorful. Each 4-5' vine will produce about 2 or 3 small melons ideal for one or two people each.

While bred as a short season variety, this melon also works well here in the south as an early melon. A good trellis melon for small spaces, but be sure to tie up the fruit before ripening.

On Sep 14, 2011, IRC from Concord, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This was my first year growing Minnesota Midget. Very easy to grow, seems to have thrived on neglect and required very little water. These have been the juiciest, sweetest, most aromatic cantaloupes I've ever had. Flesh is softer than I would like but not so much as to be a negative. Most of the fruit has been in the 4" - 5" size. Mine were mostly smooth with very little webbing and light in color.

On Feb 14, 2009, jenhillphoto from Danbury, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

I'm neutral right now on this one. We had a very rainy summer, so it's not a fair trial, in my opinion. I had problems getting the melons to stay on the vine until they were ripe. Probably my fault for growing them up a trellis. I will try them again, grown on the ground. They did grow fast and were pretty prolific. Hope they have more flavor in a sunnier year.

On Aug 18, 2006, hollyberri from Union, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have never grown melons before and am quite impressed by this one. The plant in my picture, along with its brother, have been growing in 6" pots on my deck all summer, with regular feedings of fertilizer and daily waterings. They each only have one fruit on them, which is more than I thought I would get! They each have attempted to support a second and third fruit, but have aborted them within the last few days.

On Mar 2, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is an excellent melon for northern gardens that produces large numbers of small melons on 3 ft. vines. Flesh is very sweet, golden yellow. Resistant to fusarium wilt. Developed by the Minnesota Agricultural Experiment Station, St. Paul. Open pollinated