PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Principe Borghese'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Principe Borghese

By hazelwood
Thumbnail #3 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by hazelwood

Positive LizCtish On May 25, 2014, LizCtish from Mount Sinai
United States wrote:

While this tomato isn't that tasty when eaten fresh, it is so good in other uses that I'm planting as much of it as I can this year. It is totally delicious when roasted. Cut the ripe tomatoes in half, toss them in some olive oil and herbs, and roast at about 350 degrees till a few just begin to char. Delicious with goat cheese, in salads, or just spread on a piece of bread. The green ones at the end of the season made the best relish ever. The plant is easy to grow and produces prolifically.

Positive yarrow On Oct 2, 2012, yarrow from Denver, CO wrote:

This is a highly productive and great tasting tomato. The plants started producing red tomatoes at the beginning of July and they have never stopped. Because a frost is coming (Denver, CO) I had to harvest the remaining tomatoes - and the plants are still loaded with both green and red tomatoes. They are good fresh and cooked, and are just the right size for eating in the garden. I also dried a lot but have not tasted them yet. I will definately plant again.

Positive Flutefan On Feb 4, 2012, Flutefan from Houserville, PA wrote:

We grew this in a pot with full sun, and it produced more than any of the other container planted tomatoes. They tasted excellent fresh.

Neutral goulot On Aug 31, 2011, goulot from Canton, MI wrote:

Lots of small one-inch tomatoes, full of seeds. I did not try to dry them in the sun, just froze them whole for winter cooking. They did not taste bad, but cannot compare with Health Kick (I like firm tomatoes that do not drip juice all over you when you eat them on location). Will not grow them again.

Positive bishopbookworm On Mar 19, 2011, bishopbookworm from Bishop, CA wrote:

These have produced better than other plums in my garden - with our blazing hot summers, they seem to just keep setting fruit. I like the flavor and will happily eat them fresh - some others have commented on mushiness, but maybe Principe just likes our climate or something as I haven't found them overly mushy here. They dry well - nice to add a handful to winter pasta sauces. Yes, they are on the seedy side but this doesn't bother me so I just skip that part when drying!

Negative fwfarm On Jan 13, 2011, fwfarm from Lebanon, OR (Zone 7b) wrote:

Some descriptions say this variety has "few seeds". The three vendor's varieties of this I tried all had lots of seeds. The resulting dried tomatoes were mostly seed and skin and not worth eating. Very prolific, though.

Positive dlbailey On Dec 26, 2010, dlbailey from Central Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Incredibly productive plant that's not effected by high temperatures. This is not an eating tomato. Its best dried or made into sauce.

Positive carminator1 On Jul 6, 2010, carminator1 from mobile, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

I really like this tomato, it outproduced most of my determinate tomatoes and did wonderful, the taste is good. I am mainly using it for dry tomatoes, hopefuly by the time the tomato season is over I can still enjoy some dry tomatoes on pizza, salads etc...

Positive ncowan2005 On Jan 17, 2009, ncowan2005 from Toronto

Yup this tomato has one purpose - it makes the most delicious sun-dried tomatoes ever! (for something that costs 5 bucks for a small jar in the store sundried tomatoes are really easy - you just put the tomatoes on a rack in a barely-on oven for 24 hours - then either keep them dry or (as we do) pack them in oil). When you do that they are perfectly balanced between tart and sweet and keep forever. For all other uses - slicing, frying, etc - it's pretty much useless.

Neutral colomato On Mar 12, 2008, colomato from Broomfield, CO wrote:

I really wanted to give this tomato a negative rating, but I have to admit that I didn't dry these, which is what they are best known for. They are awful eaten raw, mushy and not much flavor. Prolific, had great yields, but I wanted a salad tomato, and this is NOT it. Don't grow these for fresh eating, they should be dried or used in recipes (although they are worthless for making sauces in my opinion--deseeding them is tedious and since they are small, there's just not much pulp left afterwards.) I will never grow these again, as I am not really into sun-dried tomatoes.

Positive Richinator On Aug 29, 2007, Richinator from Broomfield, CO wrote:

I grew this year's batch from seed I saved the year before. They are hugely prolific, and are in danger of collapsing under their own weight. I've been jerry rigging cages, bamboo poles and lots of twine to support branches and sprays of 6-7 fruit. I need to rotate crops, but the next time I grow tomatoes, I will consider this one for sure.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 8, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Classic tomato suitable for sauces and sun-drying, traditionally grown in the south of Italy. Small egg-shaped fruits, averaging 1" in diameter. Also excellent for fresh eating.

Neutral tropicalaria On Sep 7, 2006, tropicalaria from Tri-Cities, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Productive plant, with mild, somewhat dry (paste-type) fruit. Said to be good for drying.

Neutral Farmerdill On Sep 30, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A small plum.

Mobile, Alabama
Cottonwood, Arizona
Queen Creek, Arizona
Bishop, California
Menifee, California
Oceanside, California
Broomfield, Colorado (2 reports)
Denver, Colorado