Croton 'Petra'

Codiaeum variegatum

Family: Euphorbiaceae (yoo-for-bee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Codiaeum (koh-dih-EE-um) (Info)
Species: variegatum (var-ee-GAY-tum) (Info)
Cultivar: Petra

Vieques, Puerto Rico

Mcallen, Texas

San Angelo, Texas

On Mar 30, 2015, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

Petra had held all her leaves here in the SF bay area until Jan 1st. That's when we had an unpredicted freeze of 32f. Uncovered it seemed to hold up. But,by February when temps were getting warmer it began to defoliate. One of three in a pot pictured,might have died,the other dropped almost all its leaves but the stem and trunk seem alive. The third- the tallest in my photo has its top 50% of leaves..dropped the lower oldest leaves for some reason.Usually its the top that are killed -right?
So,I would say Petra will not take a frost as a potted plant well.
I wish I has put it on the porch for winter. There,with a roof over it I might have a still fine looking plant.

On Mar 30, 2015, Delayneplants from Grand Portage, MN (Zone 5a) wrote:

I am not sure what to think of my Croton yet. The last one I had died very quickly so about 2 years later I just bought another (quite large~ so I've separated it into 3 planters) and so far all 3 seem to be doing OK....leaves keep falling off though. Guess I will just wait and see

On Jan 6, 2007, Strmdncr from Philadelphia, PA wrote:

This is my first croton and I just love it. So much color in one pot. I keep it in a northeastern facing window that gets full morning light and after only three months in my home it has doubled in size. This plant is a must try.

On Apr 11, 2005, Kameha from Kissimmee, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

A beautiful and easy plant to grow. It prefers full sun and lots of moisture in the soil but it can tolerate some drought. My three year old croton has been blooming non stop since december. I fertilize mine with slow release10-10-10 every 3 months but a fertilizer with a higher nitrogen content will suffice as well. Cannot beat the tropical flair and color this plant provides to the landscape.