Chinese Peony, Garden Peony
Paeonia lactiflora 'Felix Crousse'

Family: Paeoniaceae
Genus: Paeonia (pay-OHN-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: lactiflora (lak-tee-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Felix Crousse
Hybridized by Crousse
Registered or introduced: 1881
» View all varieties of Peonies

Flowers are good for cutting

Sacramento, California

Arlington, Virginia

Richmond, Virginia

negative

On Jul 1, 2013, hckybreath from Keyport, NJ wrote:

Although having a dozen Peonies in my garden; only Karl Rosenfeld would bloom; and that was in mid-season Now I'm trying to remedy the situation by installing early, mid, and late varieties;
" Felix Crouse " seems to be cited as a dependable, late season red; however those remaining in nurseries appear to have weak stems and some disease on their leaves. I know there is a great variety of growth in Peonies and wonder if this is just the result of being in a pot too long ?
I should also say here, there is a great variety of Peony plant materiel in the local garden centers ( 7/1/2012 ) ; some seem to be from divisions of only a year or two healthy, but not very large clumps ; Will they take a few years to bloom ? ; some have been over-wintered in their pots for sev... read more

On Jun 11, 2011, LauraSteele from Fort Wayne, IN wrote:

Love this peony. It was my grandmother's favorite one out of our dozen or so varieties in the back yard. Deep rich red with a hint of blue, almost a raspberry red. Smooth edged petals, very full double flowers on a smallish (18" - 24") bush that doesn't produce lateral buds. Will take a bit of shade in the afternoon and still bloom. Hybridized and introduced by Crousse in 1881.

On Mar 27, 2010, otter47 from Livermore, CA wrote:

I've tried 3 times to grow herbaceous peonies in Calfornia, without success. I have seen them grow and bloom well in East Bay communities -- Livermore, Pleasanton, and Danville, CA (all in Sunset zone14), and I note that in these gardens the peonies were grown in beds by themselves. Because peonies don't get much winter chill here, they are not as large and strong a plant they are in colder winter climates. Where I grew up in Ohio, peonies were among the most iron-clad hardy and reliable perennials, succeeding in gardens where no one cared for them. There, old standard varieties like Felix Crousse or Festiva Maxima would thrive in neglected yards. I suspect that my failure in California is partly due to the peonies being overwhelmed by other plants. Next time I try one, I will plant i... read more

On Feb 24, 2009, Tokoro from Sacramento, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love peonies, but have always thought my zone 9 / 8b was too warm for success. But my friend Bob Hamm, who has run the AIDS benefit plant sales here for many years, assures me that this will thrive in Sacramento.

It is breaking dormancy now, with a large number of beautiful shoots. It has had adequate slug protection (these critters are the bane of the warm climate gardeners).

I'm starting with a positive, though it's really "no data yet," because I'm a positive-thinking gardener!

I'll report back when I have some real experience.

On Oct 28, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

Felix Crousse is a double flowering garden peony. I would call the color nearer to deep hot pink or rasberry rather than red with darker ceners and ruffled, silver-margined petals. It likes well drained soil but a lot of water in spring. Flowers here in zone 5 about the first through third week in June.

Great cut flower and good for drying for arrangements.