PlantFiles: Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'Sweet Surrender'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Sweet Surrender
Additional cultivar information: (PP5130)
Hybridized by Weeks; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1981

Resistant to mildew
Resistant to rust
Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by palmbob

By lancer23
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by lancer23

Positive Shody444 On Oct 4, 2013, Shody444 from Vernon, WI wrote:

I live in cold snowy Wisconsin, zone 5, and my Sweet Surrender roses have been surviving and thriving for 15 years. I have Two of them and they repeat bloom all summer. The fragrance is to die for and the blooms are huge (6in). I give them one feeding in spring with a 3 month time release food and put a rose cone on them after Thanksgiving until spring. Never a problem in Zone 5.

Neutral lancer23 On Oct 27, 2012, lancer23 from San Francisco, CA wrote:

Positive FLGardenLady On Jun 22, 2011, FLGardenLady from The Villages, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

My Sweet Surrender lives in The Villages in central Florida.
The blooms she produces don't seem to get as large as those described in these other postings. Maybe that's because she is planted in direct sunlight. If I could find a way to shade my roses during the hot summer, they all might be more robust. However, she has a wonderful scent, and although her flowers are somewhat small, they are lovely.

Neutral Joan On May 6, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 5130 has expired
Positive rjones8194 On Mar 26, 2008, rjones8194 from Independence, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

It's very had to find varieties that do well in our area but this rose has performed very well for me.

I planted it so it had some light shade from the harsh midday sun and plenty of air circulation and have had no problem with blackspot and very little with pests which is very unusual in our humidity and heat. I don't use pesticides and fungus sprays but it seem to do fine without it.

The new growth is dark red/maroon then turning to dark green leaves, blooms are very large with a wonderful fragrance.

Positive Gitagal On Jun 1, 2007, Gitagal from Baltimore, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

This Rose is one of my oldest, and most favorite roses I have. I love the hardiness of it and the fragrance. It is very floral and reminds me of a Granny's perfume.

I live in a hot, humid zone 7a. (Baltimore). We get Black Spot a lot here, but this rose seems to be naturally resistant to all the diseases.
Oh, there's a bit here and there, but compared to the others, it is my hardiest Rose of all. The blooms are huge! They are on strong stems and have so many petals that it has 2 whorls inside one bloom. I guess that is what is meant by "double". When it is fully open, it is almost flat and 5"-6" across.
It does not "shatter" when the bloom is done, but maintains it's shape until it is fully faded. No falling petals on this one.

A few years ago, I cut the whole bush back to about 10"-12". A drastic move, but it was a matter of "do or die" as it was rocking in the soil and loose from the workmen that put my siding up pushing against it. So, I cut it back.
I was so happy to see it re-grow the following year to it's full glory and bloom.

This Rose gets my vote as the most hardy, fragrant, durable and a real survivor.

Gita (Gitagal)

Positive sanity101 On Mar 25, 2005, sanity101 from Dublin, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

One of the most fragrant roses I've smelled. Sweet, flowery, with a bit of lemon.

Flowers are full, double and classic rosy pink, and last well cut, though the fragrance fades and loses the lemon, and the color becomes somewhat paler than if left on the bush.

The only rose we moved with us to a new house, it's now doing passibly well in a rather too-shady location. Still flowers regularly. Very little blackspot despite rampant infections on the neighboring bush.

just wish it was more widely avaliable. It certainly deserves the popularity

Positive ladyannne On Sep 20, 2004, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Lovely silvery pink bloom and heavy fragrance, long stemmed blooms.

Independence, Louisiana