PlantFiles: Grandiflora Rose
Rosa 'Candelabra'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Candelabra
Additional cultivar information: (PP11016, aka JACcinqo)
Hybridized by Zary; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1998

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Class:
Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

Orange and orange blend (ob)

Bloom Shape:
Semi-double

Flower Fragrance:
Slightly Fragrant

Habit:
Bush
Can be trained as a standard or tree form

Patented

Other Details:
Susceptible to black spot
Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

By sweezel

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by goofybulb

By crisymei
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by crisymei

Positive Mr_LeFleur On Oct 21, 2009, Mr_LeFleur from Bothell, WA wrote:

My favorite of all my roses so far.
It has a vibrant glowing orange/coral hue, and dark green leaves that contrast nicely.
Grows in a weird bushy sort of way, blooms a lot for me, but I have it in a full sun location.
It does have problems with black spot though, but as long as I keep up on it, and pull of the infected leaves, it stays healthy.
overall I think the flower is worth the black spot troubles, at least here in washington anyways.

Positive guyb On Aug 19, 2004, guyb from Levis, Quebec, Canada

This rose is wonderfull ! I grow it in zone 4 Quebec city, Qubec, Canada. We have no specific problem with the foliage. The best place to grow it is a sunny location.

Neutral sweezel On Apr 30, 2004, sweezel from McKinney, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

1999 AARS Winner

Hybridized from a combination of Tournament of Roses and an unnamed seedling.

This rose does not seem to be suitable for my area - North Texas, USDA zone 7b/8a. A previous homeowner had planted it, but I learned about it quickly. It puts off a beautiful orange flower and it had at least one bloom most of the late spring and summer, but was covered (and defoliated by) blackspot almost the whole time it was leafed out. I sprayed and sprayed and cut off infected branches, but I could never get rid of it. This spring when I could see that it was about to leaf out, I started spraying the brand name fungicide and added cornmeal to the soil. It did not work though, because as soon as it had about 10 open leaves I noticed the black spot was back.

The rose was not located in the perfect place (about 5 hours of morning sun only), but for a rose to get a positive rating it needs to be disease resistant and strong. It has now been removed, given to someone who has a sunnier place for it, and the patience for it. I replaced it with a rose that has been given the Earthkind label by Texas A&M, meaning it is a proven performer in our area without the use of chemicals and large amounts of supplemental water.

Arlington Heights, Illinois