Abutilon, Flowering Maple
Abutilon pictum 'Gold Dust'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Abutilon (a-BEW-tih-lon) (Info)
Species: pictum (PIK-tum) (Info)
Cultivar: Gold Dust

Sacramento, California

Santa Cruz, California

Spring, Texas

On Sep 23, 2012, janonemillionth from West Sacramento, CA wrote:

This plant must now be 10 feet. I bought it about 2 feet tall. I do not actually like varigated leaves--too much chaos theory or me. But... it covers my compost pile in front of my back window. I added it to layer in with the Red Abultion I had already. I had started burying my dog compost along with my leaves and that seemed to give the Abutilon a boost. Both plants grew so fast that I have been amazed. I am now trying to learn about how to grow them from seed. I just love this plant. It brings humingbirds and other birds as well as looks beautiful outside my window.
Yes, the main stem gets heavy. I will need to start looking for a thick and long bamboo pole to hold it up as it blows in the wind where I live.
Since it covers the compost piles, people actually do not even not... read more

On Nov 30, 2010, AGCcutter from Dallas, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have grown this plant in the north Texas area for 25 years. Because of its eventual size and moist soil requirement small tubs ( 1 to 2 cubic foot of soil ) or 14 inch or larger pots work best in my climate. Partial sun is best in hot dry areas. Easy to over winter in a cool greenhouse. Poor air circulation in a warm greenhouse can lead to mealy bugs, aphids or scale. Needs support as it gains height, beautiful trellised. In my opinion one of the most beautiful varigated leaves. My mother has pressed them for framing behind glass. Grow this one for the foliage.

On Aug 30, 2006, bncybncytigger from Santa Cruz, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

In 1 year this plant tripled in size, super beautiful, no problems and has been left outside all year in Santa Cruz with no problems that i can see.

Placed in full sun, in well draining topsoil, flowers all year and is a great variaged evergreen. The only drawback is that the leaves are not as deep green as when i bought it, but that is possibly because of mysoil or the full sun. Great showcase plant

On Aug 26, 2005, flowercrazy39 from Manchester, NH wrote:

I actually grew it here in New Hampshire for two years but got tired of bringing it in for the winter. Got too big. The leaves overtook the blooms and I had to keep clipping them.

On Sep 23, 2004, IMCANADIAN from Moose Jaw, SK (Zone 3a) wrote:

I grow this plant in a container, it has been problem free. It is a sturdy shrub that blooms continuously, and is bug free.