PlantFiles: Hummingbird Mint
Agastache 'Black Adder'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Agastache (ah-gas-TAH-kee) (Info)
Cultivar: Black Adder
Additional cultivar information: (aka Blackadder)
Hybridized by Janssen

By saya
Thumbnail #6 of Agastache  by saya

By peachespickett
Thumbnail #7 of Agastache  by peachespickett

Positive ms_greenjeans On Sep 11, 2012, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I live in zone 4a and have grown Blue Fortune, Golden Jubilee, Honey Bee Blue and Black Adder successfully in multiple places in my yard for 4-5 years. Black Adder has a slightly darker, more purple flower color that I like very much. All of my agastache get to be quite tall, like 5 feet or more, except for Golden Jubilee. We've had a couple of years of very hot, very dry weather here and this stuff doesn't skip a beat. I love agastache, and so do my neighborhood bees, butterflies and hummingbirds!

Positive Cahow On Jul 26, 2012, Cahow from HARBERT, MI wrote:

I can't say enough nice things about the "Black Adder" variety of Agastache! I have a collection of uber-pricy tetraploid daylilies and NOTHING sets off their flowers better than a background of Black Adder's blue flowers, to contrast against the hot mango/vivid mustard/deep wine of my daylily's blooms. I started with 3 plants one year, saw how amazing they were, and bought 15 more to use all around the garden (I live on an acre). Very tidy, never floppy; mine grows from 2' to 3', depending upon the bed it's in. I have planted the generic agastache and it's too weedy and unkempt for my tastes; gets too big and flops over and stays flopped over without staking. This variety can withstand wind, rain, and my garden cats, who love to play in it. HIGHLY recommend >this< variety!

Positive Massgirl On Aug 18, 2011, Massgirl from Franklin, MA wrote:

Love this plant! Easy to grow, bees love it! BUT mine has grown 6 feet tall plus!!! I'm 5'7" and it's taller than me. This one I have in full sun, but I have a Blue Fortune in part shade and that one is 6' plus, too!! Since they are both so tall, they've flopped over but I've propped them up and they look beautiful.

Positive gardeningfun On Apr 17, 2010, gardeningfun from Harpersfield, OH (Zone 5a) wrote:

This plant did fantastic in my zone 5a garden this winter. It is a huge mound already and very green and healthy looking. We had one of the worst winters and tons of snow and high winds. It was freezing and it came back great.

Positive stormyla On Sep 29, 2009, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is a wonderful plant with a very long bloom period. I have it growing in the windiest dryest section of my shady bed. It blooms very well under Maples and never bends in the wind.

Positive saya On Feb 24, 2008, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

Hybridized by Coen Janssen (Netherlands). Probably a cross between A. rugosum and A. foeniculum. I've been told that most flowers are sterile. That explains the long flowering season.

Positive plutodrive On Nov 16, 2007, plutodrive from Denver, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

This overwintered in my zone 5 garden. It is a great plant that likes it dry. Needs no care except for proper placement- well drained soil and sun.

Positive Marilynbeth On Jul 18, 2007, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

Beautiful Agastache! I've been growing it since 2005 or 2006.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 6, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

2-3 ft plants produce smoky-purple flowers from mid-summer well into fall. For an added bonus, in Autumn the stalks and foliage turn purple as well. Does great in containers. Perennial to zone 7.

Richmond, California