Bellflower 'Sarastro'

Family: Campanulaceae (kam-pan-yew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Campanula (kam-PAN-yoo-luh) (Info)
Cultivar: Sarastro
Additional cultivar information:(aka Sarasota)

Blackhawk-camino Tassajara, California

Cleveland, Ohio

Baker City, Oregon

Lexington, Virginia

On Dec 12, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

One of the best garden bellflowers. Floriferous, long-blooming, vigorous, more heat tolerant than most bellflowers. Looks similar to 'Kent Belle', but the stems are less inclined to topple.

The flowering season can be very long, however faded flowers are conspicuously ugly and need regular deadheading to look good. If you cut the stems to the ground after the first flush, this plant generally sends up a second set for a fall flowering.

A hybrid between C, punctata and C. trachelium, introduced by Christian Kress of Austria's Sarastro Nursery. This is a vigorous clump-former that does not inherit C. punctata's thuggish spreading habit.

On Aug 12, 2011, hairyjo from Danville, CA wrote:

I bought this mail order from Green Thumbs Galore and it is stunning in my garden. It kept blooming from early summer and now well into August with more buds on it. I dead head regularly. It gets very hot and dry here.

On Jun 16, 2011, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I must agree with the rave reviews. I planted this late last year and honestly didn't exect it to survive, let alone thrive the way it did. We had a very hard Minnesota winter. The straggly little plant that barely got in the ground before hard freezes and snow is a couple of feet tall and wide and blooming like crazy. The flowers do look like shriveled up prunes until they open, and then they are really large and beautiful against the light green foliage. I've had other bellflowers and thought the foliage had a rather weedy look, but this one is nice. For some reason I recall the taste of grape Kool-Aid when I look at the flowers....

On Jun 20, 2005, MaryE from Baker City, OR (Zone 5b) wrote:

I'm not positive on the variety of campanula that I have since I got a start from somebody else's garden. Mine is very hardy, no trouble, not invasive, does well anyplace I have put it and is always a joy to see in bloom. It blooms for quite a long time and is a nice blue that seems to go with anything growing nearby. An A+ kind of plant in my opinion.

On Oct 10, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I bought one of these plants in July 04' in full bloom from a local nursery. I almost hesitated because of the price ($13) but it was a 2 gallon pot and the plant was absolutely breathtaking. The royal purple bells, of which the plant was covered - were up to approximately 3" long! I couldn't find much information on this plant so I watched it closely over the summer.

What is interesting is how the new buds look...deep purple (almost plum) and "shriveled" looking. When I first noticed this I actually trimmed some shoots that I thought were gone so as to encourage new growth. A week later I had a new shoot with the same shriveled-looking buds and a light went on! Suddenly, these buds burst open and you have these incredible flowers!

It's now October 10th and... read more