PlantFiles: Bellflower
Campanula 'Sarastro'

Family: Campanulaceae (kam-pan-yew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Campanula (kam-PAN-yoo-luh) (Info)
Cultivar: Sarastro
Additional cultivar information: (aka Sarasota)

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Blue-Violet

Thumbnail #6 of Campanula  by plantaholic186

By rebecca101
Thumbnail #7 of Campanula  by rebecca101

Positive hairyjo On Aug 12, 2011, hairyjo from Danville, CA wrote:

I bought this mail order from Green Thumbs Galore and it is stunning in my garden. It kept blooming from early summer and now well into August with more buds on it. I dead head regularly. It gets very hot and dry here.

Positive ms_greenjeans On Jun 16, 2011, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I must agree with the rave reviews. I planted this late last year and honestly didn't exect it to survive, let alone thrive the way it did. We had a very hard Minnesota winter. The straggly little plant that barely got in the ground before hard freezes and snow is a couple of feet tall and wide and blooming like crazy. The flowers do look like shriveled up prunes until they open, and then they are really large and beautiful against the light green foliage. I've had other bellflowers and thought the foliage had a rather weedy look, but this one is nice. For some reason I recall the taste of grape Kool-Aid when I look at the flowers....

Positive MaryE On Jun 20, 2005, MaryE from Baker City, OR (Zone 5b) wrote:

I'm not positive on the variety of campanula that I have since I got a start from somebody else's garden. Mine is very hardy, no trouble, not invasive, does well anyplace I have put it and is always a joy to see in bloom. It blooms for quite a long time and is a nice blue that seems to go with anything growing nearby. An A+ kind of plant in my opinion.

Positive lmelling On Oct 10, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I bought one of these plants in July 04' in full bloom from a local nursery. I almost hesitated because of the price ($13) but it was a 2 gallon pot and the plant was absolutely breathtaking. The royal purple bells, of which the plant was covered - were up to approximately 3" long! I couldn't find much information on this plant so I watched it closely over the summer.

What is interesting is how the new buds look...deep purple (almost plum) and "shriveled" looking. When I first noticed this I actually trimmed some shoots that I thought were gone so as to encourage new growth. A week later I had a new shoot with the same shriveled-looking buds and a light went on! Suddenly, these buds burst open and you have these incredible flowers!

It's now October 10th and this bellflower has continued to bloom almost nonstop - I see new shoots and 1 lone 2" flower blooming defiantly! The blooms do get smaller as the summer/fall progresses, but in our area (zone 5) it's amazing to having flowers blooming at this time of year, especially since we've already had 2 nights of frost/freeze warnings. Also, deer got into our garden and lightly browsed this plant last week - this week there's already a new shoot!

June 19, 2005 - Growth rate is phenominal! The clump planted last year has increased by perhaps 3 times. See my pictures for a one year difference in growth. WOW!

Blackhawk-camino Tassajara, California