PlantFiles: Blue Mist Spiraea, Bluebeard
Caryopteris x clandonensis 'Petite Bleu'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Caryopteris (kar-ee-OP-ter-iss) (Info)
Species: x clandonensis (klan-don-EN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Petite Bleu
Additional cultivar information: (PP14674; aka Minbleu)
Hybridized by Davasse; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2003

Medium Blue
Dark Blue

Aromatic

This plant is resistant to deer

Patented

By carpentergirl
Thumbnail #6 of Caryopteris x clandonensis by carpentergirl

By carpentergirl
Thumbnail #7 of Caryopteris x clandonensis by carpentergirl

Positive carpentergirl On Apr 17, 2011, carpentergirl from Lockport, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

This was the first shrub that I got the nerve up to plant. I had to order it from a local nursery. When it finally came in I hoped I had prepared it's spot properly so dug the hole and plopped it in! It bloomed well the first year ( I was just glad that it was still alive!) The first winter was very scary - and disaster struck! Somehow the entire center of the plant was gone down to about 12 inches from the ground. I remembered reading that it liked to be "pruned hard" in the spring so I got out my pruners and chopped away to shape it back into the ball shape it had been. Come fall I was totally thrilled. That little guy had more than doubled in size and was totally covered in blossoms! (see photo) This year (year 2) I was still afraid when pruning it but I held my breath and had at it! We will see...

Positive logswest On Jul 8, 2009, logswest from Fairview, UT wrote:

The picture I uploaded is from my son's home in Woodland Hills, Utah, halfway to the top of the mountain where there is ten feet of snow in the winter and it gets 20 below and they do nothing to protect it. Also, it is planted on the northeast side of the house so it doesn't get full sun. Not only does it do well, it spreads, they think from the roots. They dig up the starts and share them with friends and relatives and replant them at the duplexes they own.

Positive ShrubSource On Mar 26, 2009, ShrubSource from Zeeland, MI wrote:

Caryopteris - Petit Bleu Bluebeard

The best Caryopteris we've seen! Enjoy the intense floral display of rare blue flowers from late summer through fall. Petit Bleu is a dramatic improvement of other Bluebeard cultivars. It's the total package with tight compact growth, excellent branching, deep blue flowers, and dark green glossy foliage. The deep blue flowers are richer than any other Caryopteris varieties and contrast nicely with many popular fall flowers. Petit Bleu is a valuable plant for the garden, providing late season blooms when many other plants have passed their prime. Attracts butterflies to late summer gardens. Perfect for use in the mixed borders, or perennial beds. May also be planted as part of a wildlife garden. Dies back to the ground in the northern states (roots are hardy).

Positive kizilod On May 4, 2007, kizilod from Uxbridge, MA wrote:

I have grown this plant in zone 5B for three years. It is in a sheltered site, and I protect it with pine boughs during the winter.

Neutral isom On Oct 23, 2006, isom from Mission BC
Canada (Zone 8b) wrote:

I just bought this cultivar from a big box store at a greatly reduced price as it was looking pretty poorly. But I knew appearances were deceiving & it just needed repotting, more light, & a good pruning. I've now tended to all that & hope to see it revive some this fall. Since my zone is 8b, I won't have problems overwintering it & hope to have photos to add next year. Been looking for some Caryopteris for a while now but couldn't afford it at the high end nurseries - the only places I saw it carried at.

Negative chlorophyll On Aug 22, 2006, chlorophyll from Waukegan, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Absolutely beautiful little shrub, but did not live through the winter in Zone 5b.

Lockport, New York