PlantFiles: Monterey Cypress, Lemon Cypress
Cupressus macrocarpa 'Goldcrest'

Family: Cupressaceae (koo-press-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cupressus (koo-PRESS-us) (Info)
Species: macrocarpa (ma-kro-KAR-pa) (Info)
Cultivar: Goldcrest
Additional cultivar information: (aka Golden Crest, Lemon Yellow)

Conifers

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Pollen may cause allergic reaction

Chartreuse/Yellow

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By growin

Thumbnail #5 of Cupressus macrocarpa by Kell

Thumbnail #6 of Cupressus macrocarpa by Kell

Thumbnail #7 of Cupressus macrocarpa by Kell

Positive redhead3kids On Nov 11, 2014, redhead3kids from Port Alberni

I bought this plant approx 5 yrs ago and it was about 4 in tall. Planted it outside and it is now about 10 ft tall and beautiful. I live in Port Alberni, BC, Canada and my zone is 6-7. Have never protected it from the cold. It is truly beautiful.

Positive omaz On May 23, 2014, omaz from cairo
Egypt wrote:

Introduced to Egypt 10 years ago . Sold in many nurseries now , propagated by cuttings . Growth season in our winter ,new foliage beautiful yellowish , very invasive roots detrimental to trees within a 40 yard radius .

Negative AZJeff On Jan 4, 2013, AZJeff from Sahuarita, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

I saw this plant being sold as a living Christmas tree for the holidays. I was attracted to it,for the color and foliage. Well, the soil was getting real dry,so I watered it real well. The foliage was real nice til later on, the tips would get brown,and just dry up and die. I've pinched off all the dead growth. I had it in the house,then I moved it outside to get cooler air and some sun. I thought it got too much sun so I moved it in the shade. Now it's back in the house. The dead growth spoils it's beauty. I live in a desert climate where we have mainly low humidities,so I think that's the problems and issues with this plant for getting brown dried up tips. I wouldn't advise getting this plant if you live in a very arid climate,even if you do water the plant and keep it shaded,as the growth dries up. I eventually want to transplant it outdoors,but don't know where at. I guess maybe in a larger pot,and keep shaded.?

Negative 5Mary5 On Aug 14, 2012, 5Mary5 from London
United Kingdom wrote:

These are indeed beautiful plants but I live in England where we have small gardens and if a neighbour plants these as a hedge and too near the garden fence then it sterilises any area within 3 feet. so please be a good neighbour and make sure you plant this at least 3/4 feet within your own boundary.

Positive ravensnestfarm On Jun 21, 2012, ravensnestfarm from Brush Prairie, WA wrote:

I've had this plant for a number of years, subsequent to killing the first one. Arrgh! The thing it taught me is it wants to be quite moist at all times. WAY more water than most plants. Treat it as a marginal if grown as a house plant. A minor dry-out kills it. I have no experience with it planted outside, except as a summer pot plant that comes in for the winter.

Neutral BUFFY690 On May 15, 2010, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have purchased one of these awesome looking plants, I love the scented foilage, it will surely harmonize with my citrus scented geranium collection. I was going to grow in a pot but I think it will most definately go in the ground so it can show off.

Positive mantis212 On Dec 3, 2007, mantis212 from Roslyn, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is the " Lemon Cypress " that is being sold across the country. I planted one in Stockton CA and one in Long Island NY. I will post the results.

Positive Mogheller On Jan 27, 2005, Mogheller from Berlin
Germany wrote:

For me one one of the most beautiful cupressus!

here in Germany most people know this plant, cause its very-very often to see/buy for low price in shops as so called "room-cupress".
but in rooms she is NOT good, cause the air ist to dry and the light is not bright enough most.

99,9% think this plant would destroyed by frost, but it isnt true!

10 years ago i had such a plant in a pot and in winter it was in a glasshouse with radiator. but then the radiator broke, the glasshouse was unopenable for 7 frozwn days/nights down to -10C, but the plant survived without problems!

then i searched a place in my parents garden, planted it out and it was fast growing for 5-6 years, until a virus or fungi or i dont know destroyed it.

but now i have a new one in a pot outside and hope to find a nice place for this to plant out

Union City, California