Variegated Algerian Ivy, Canary Island Ivy, North African Ivy, Madeira Ivy 'Gloire de Marengo'

Hedera canariensis

Family: Araliaceae
Genus: Hedera (HED-er-uh) (Info)
Species: canariensis (kuh-nair-ee-EN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Gloire de Marengo
Additional cultivar information:(aka Variegata)
Synonym:Hedera algeriensis

Carrollton, Texas

San Angelo, Texas

Bellingham, Washington

On Jul 25, 2012, milocat4 from New York, NY wrote:

Recently I bought a hanging basket of this ivy at HD and it's thriving. I decided to go to the farmers' market and buy a smaller one and another variegated small lobed ivy.

Does anyone know if two different ivy plants can be potted together?

On Dec 19, 2010, killdawabbit from Christiana, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

According to the USDA map I am in zone 6b. Someone just a few miles from here says she in zone 7. At any rate I have had this survive one winter so far. And I didn't even plant it. I used it as a porch plant. It trailed down and rooted itself in the ground and, lo and behold, next last spring it came out really well and grew.
I'm anxious to see if the same thing happens next year.
I love this ivy and keep two of them in pots inside during the winter. They are gorgeous houseplants. One of them I have trained to a narrow metal A-frame. It's the prettiest one. I put it on the porch in spring and let it go. Then before I bring it in in the fall I trim it back to the frame. One of my favorite plants.

On Oct 16, 2008, mjolner88 from Bellingham, WA wrote:

Do you hate slow-growing plants? If so, you'll love this plant...unlike most ivies, it will exhibit visible growth in the same week that it was planted...things will speed up exponentially as time passes.

Give it an insane does of humic acid, auxin (superthrive), and just a little more water than you "think" it needs, and you'll be rewarded with ultra-aggressive growth.

I can only begin to imagine the joy I would receive from this plant, if I had access to sunlight where I live.

On Mar 4, 2006, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

Wonderfully, up to 50%, bright-white variegated/margined leaves up to 8 inches wide, and very pleasing red stems to boot.

An Ivy that certainly does not recieve credit to its hardiness. Mulching helps tremendously. One must remember that defoliation in the winter for evergreens does not mean death. The white parts of the leaf are first to go, lacking the chemicals to protect it from cold damage. Upon warmer temperatures in spring, fresh new leaves appear to replace the old.

Makes a supreme (houseplant) hanging basket, which is the capacity in which it is most often seen. I say just buy a well-planted basket and divide it up for your landscape use!